Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Transfer Music over WiFi using Amarok or just sftp

Default Transfer Music over WiFi using Amarok or just sftp
    update below...

Greetings to you all.

I have looked high and low for answers to this question that I have, which is: How can I move music over WiFi to my iPhone?

So far I have used jailbreak and installed the openssh package. I have traded rsa encrypted keys with my phone so i can ssh into the phone without needing the password. All that works flawlessly.

Now for my problem. I can mount the phone on my Linux machine wirelessly and can mount the device in Amarok and can see the music files currently on the iPhone. So I tried to move new files onto the iPhone which seemed to be fine and they showed up just like the files which were transfered by iTunes. However, when I go to the iPod mode on the phone, it says that I have no music and when I plug it back into iTunes I get the error message:

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "iPhone". Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings."

I can then go back and restore the phone (which I have done a few times today) and start the process all over.

In order to get this far I have used this tutorial: IPhone: Sync Your iPhone Wirelessly in Linux and I totally understand the process as I'm a linux server admin so this isn't terribly difficult for me. What I don't understand is why the filesystem seems to be getting corrupted for iTunes even though nothing has changed in some cases. The corruption happens even if I just mount the iPhone in Amarok and then disconnect it without modifying the files on the phone.

Anyone who can answer my questions I will be forever grateful to.

Thank you in advance,

-DK-

update: I found out that there is a problem with one of the packages you need to install on the Linux machine to make this work. When that is updated it will work correctly again.

Right now there is a hash file on the phone and if you do not create that same hash on your computer it will corrupt the database on the phone. They have not cracked the hash yet on the new 2.0 firmware so we have to wait.
    Last edited by -DK-; 2008-08-04 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to -DK- For This Useful Post:

nwrman (2008-10-03)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm in the same boat - I've been happily syncing with Amarok since last year but I recently upgraded to 2.01 and am now waiting for an update to libgpod / gtkpod but there doesn't seem to be any sign of imminent release of an update - SourceForge.net: GUI for iPod using GTK2 (gtkpod)
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

DK, Where are you following this issue of the v2.0.1 hash? I seem to have run into the same wall...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bingnet
    DK, Where are you following this issue of the v2.0.1 hash? I seem to have run into the same wall...
    Have a look at the link in my last post. That points to the project page for gtkpod / libgpod.
    Last edited by Wayno; 2008-08-18 at 11:47 AM.
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

Specifically this is where I was looking to find info...

SourceForge.net: gtkpod-questions

So there is a new Cydia app called "Pwnplayer". Very promising app and customizable for where it gets music from so you don't have to worry about the hash file at all. The new app can also read the music that has already been transferred so you won't have to worry about wrecking your current library.

Check it out here.

I'm not affiliated with the project, I just like enough to tell others.

Cheers.

Has anyone found that when you transfer music in Ubuntu, PwnPlayer doesnt read it properly? Anywho, i use Amarok now to transfer music, i havnt had any problems so far, the only problem was the album art but managed to fix it with reinstalling some packages (libgpod-dev and some otherones i forget the name of)