Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone email WAV file attachment

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default iPhone email WAV file attachment
    My company uses a system for voicemail, that will send an email to me with an attached WAV file with the voicemail in it.

When I check the email and then select the WAV file attachment to play, it pops up with an error that says "this movie could not be played".

I have researched this and noticed that the WAV file that is sent as an attachment is ecoded with "ACM Waveform". The only WAV file encoding that I found works on the iPhone is "PCM Windows".

Is there any way to be able to listen to the ACM WAV file? Anyone know of a fix?

WAV files encoded with ACM, ADPCM and PCM all play fine in iTunes. WAV files encoded with DVI do not however. Yet only the PCM encoded file will play on the iPhone.

Any suggestions?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as I know this is not possible (not built into the phone). Ask for a dev to make an addon in third party apps
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks. It is so strange that only some of the WAV file attachments will play and others will not. The encoding or what have you is the only thing I have found different in the files.

Thanks

Yeah... apple really did a poor job with attachments considering they are priding their phone for having wonderful internet and e-mail. I suppose they could claim this is a "security feature" but I am hoping they decide to implement these things in future firmwares rather than just tell us it can't be done in order to "keep us safe"

So you use your phone for business? How do you like it? Most people say BlackBerry > iPhone. I have both and just love the internet on the iphone so I can't let it go. BlackBerry does have plenty of features that I wish iphones had. But I am still hopeful ;D
    (not trying to hijack your post, just noticed you said you used it (at least internet voicemail) for work purposes!)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have a Blackberry as well. I must say that for business email, the BB is by far superior to the iPhone. Of course the iPhone kicks on the internet and most other, but email for sure lacks. We need PUSH email for the iPhone for sure.

At first I hated the keyboard on the iPhone compared to the BB, but now I really like it. It has one of the smartest keyboards out there in regards to fixing your errors. I can type on the iPhone as fast as I did on the BB now. Just takes about a week of playing with it and youre good.

Thanks

For sure. I would like some tactile feedback rather than the sound (maybe a small vibrate or something). That would make the iphone keyboard superior to all others. The ability to use the phone and type in ladscape is what wins for me. My fingers/hands don't feel so cramped.