Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought iphone

Default Just bought iphone
    So I just bought a slightly used iphone on craigslist, and I have at&t so the guy I bought it from told me it would work. Now the iphone says its locked because it detected a different sim card. Where do I start? Also when I plug it into the computer, the computer does not detect any device...

you cant just put any at&t sim card in
    you need a at&t contract for the iphone/be on the iphone plan, where they will give you a 'special' simcard

if you do not want to pay like 90$ a month i suggest you follow the many guides on this site(http://www.modmyi.com/wiki) for unlocking an iphone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper For This Useful Post:

95LSv (2008-01-24)

You need a 3G sim card for it to work and you have to activate it by jailbreaking it or by itunes if you want to use the 20 dollar a month data plan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Selayan For This Useful Post:

95LSv (2008-01-24)

Alright, thanks guys. Since I got it I've been doing some reading so I'm not such a total
    n00b anymore, but I still have a lot to learn. Heres the deal, I bought my phone off craigslist. I went to a professional to unlock it for me only to tell me that pass code lock is on and he can't do anything unless he has the code. I have called the guy I bought it from, but he doesn't answer or return any of my calls. I don't know where he lives since I met up with him at walgreens... Yea I'm stupid.

I bypassed the lock (to some extent) using the emergency call and dialing *#306#, creating and new contact with the url prefs:, etc ... Now to reset anything I need the pass code.

I tried putting the phone in DFU mode but nothing happens when I press the home and sleep buttons. I tried using a DFU program but computer or itunes does not recognize the iphone when I plug it in the usb.

Is my iphone bricked or is there a way around this? Is there a way around the pass code?

Anyone know how I can get my computer to recognize the phone?
    Last edited by 95LSv; 2008-01-25 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost