Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speakers not working :( - Go to 2.0?

Default Speakers not working :( - Go to 2.0?
    Hey guys,

Well I ended up going into work late today because my iPhone's speakers stopped working. Missed 16 calls and the alarm did not make noise when it went off. I have a 1.1.4 jailbroken phone.

I tried plugging/unplugging the headphones really fast 10 times. No luck. Tried rubbing alcohol with cutip method. Didn't work. Tried pluggin in headphones, playing a song via ipod, turn phone off, then unplug headphones and turn phone back on. Didn't work. Tried resetting all the settings under general tab, no luck. Tried everything with no luck at all

Any other ideas out there? I live in Canada and bought the phone off of eBay so I have no way to get it repaired under warranty.

I'm considering upgrading to 2.0 firmware and hoping that will solve the problem, but I am not sure that will work.

If I decide to go the 2.0 upgrade route, can anyone point me to a good tutorial of how to get from step A through Z when starting with 1.1.4 firmware that is already jailbroken?

Thank you!

Did you bother to read anything iPhone related website, including MMi's own frontpage portable. There's link to OSX and window upgrading guides in huge fonts.

I can pretty much promise you upgrading the firmware wont fix your problem. Sounds like you probably have a blown speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by weezyhuy View Post
    Did you bother to read anything iPhone related website, including MMi's own frontpage portable. There's link to OSX and window upgrading guides in huge fonts.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mabye next time though, you could be a bit more patient with people. I just got home from work (10pm) seeing as I had to leave so late because of my issues with the speaker not waking me up. So, no....I didn't bother to read anything iphone upgrade related because upgrading to 2.0 was not my issue. I was happy with 1.1.4. When I got home today, I spent atleast half hour reasearching ways to fix this issue with the speaker, and I tried half a dozen things to get it to work, but to no avail.

Sorry, but I worked 10 hours in a construction related field today....forgive my 'laziness' ............

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    I can pretty much promise you upgrading the firmware wont fix your problem. Sounds like you probably have a blown speaker.
    Thanks for the reply cpjr.
    The thing is it would be wierd if the speaker was blown. It worked fine lastnight up until 8pm when I received my last call. Then I went to sleep, and didn't realize it was not working until I woke up. I never use the external speaker for music or video, so it's hard to see how the ringer alone could cause the speaker to blow.
    Last edited by Heineken77; 2008-07-31 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dan0609's Avatar
    Thanks

though I honestly cant offer anymore sugestions, as you have covered every tip and suggestion I was going to give...

I can say take it to apple if possible... YES i know its not under warranty, but I have had my iPhone Edge replaced 3 times by apple WITHOUT a warranty AND past my innitial 1 year warranty. NO questions asked. I made no RSVP just a walk in and they pointed me to the genius bar every time. I explained my problem for a literal 20 seconds than they took my phone typed in the serial # and handed me a new one.

The worst of cases is they could just say no. I would hope apple wouldnt take your device from you. but you cant judge a companys ruthlesness lol.