Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: installer for 2.0

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Default installer for 2.0
    i gotta ask. any idea when its coming?

Umm...let's see..."So Installer 4.0 will come out soon… as soon as we’re confident it functions properly, we will release it - and trust us, we are not going to delay it for a long time." That came from July 20th...so I'm gonna say...soon? Btw ur sig lies, I'm not using XP. HA. lol

And just as a little side note, I hate being this kinda person, but there are other posts about this subject, so it would be nice if you used search, but thats ok! (Personally i can't even find the search, shows how much of a noob I am, is there even a search? HAH...EDIT: Wow, I'm a noob...the search was right up there on the side...jeez.)
    Last edited by polishdemon; 2008-07-31 at 04:16 AM.
    You, sir, have been PWNED.
    Have I helped you at all? GIVE ME SOME LOVE, sry, I mean thanks...
    And remember, wear your seatbelt, don't run with scissors, and drink milk. Have a nice day!
    Apple Style Logo Battery
    MGS "!" Alert Custom Text Sound
    Two MGS Ringtones

Doesn't Cydia do the same thing but better? I jumped on the iPhone bandwagon about a week ago so I am a bit unfamiliar with Installer vs. Cydia... What can installer do that cydia cannot?

Thanks

installer came first....so it's obvious that people don't take change to well. I like both but cydia scares me when it comes to uninstalling apps.

Quote Originally Posted by stlcaddie View Post
    installer came first....so it's obvious that people don't take change to well. I like both but cydia scares me when it comes to uninstalling apps.
    Cydia uses a popular package manager that is used on many current operating systems and is over a decade old. I'd say that its pretty tried and true.

Thanks

sorry about the repeat.. and yea im hopeing it comes soon. cydia is ok but im alot more familiar with installer and cydia scares me too i just like the way installer operates and the way its set up

iPhone? More like MyPhone whateverman24791's Avatar
    Thanks

What is Cydia?

If you’ve just used one of the new Pwnage options and now have a shiny new jailbroken iPhone running the 2.0 software, then you might be asking yourself, “What is Cydia?”

You might also be asking yourself, “Where is Installer?,” but rest assured it is coming soon. Until then, let’s explain Cydia.

Cydia was created by Jay Freeman (saurik), as an alternative to Installer. It took what Installer started and improved on it. It’s open source and gives developers much more flexibility when publishing their apps.

But why is Cydia on your SpringBoard and not Installer?

Well the 2.0 software introduces many changes to the developer’s toolchain, which means that applications written for 1.1.4 and below will not run on 2.0 firmware without being updated and recompiled. At the time PwnageTool was released, Installer itself had not been ported to the 2.0 software, and therefore cannot run on it yet.

Until the developers of Installer (RiP Dev) finish updating the application, it will not run on the new 2.0 iPhone/iPod Touch software. In the meantime, Cydia is your sole method of package installation.

Now you’re probably saying, “But Installer had so many more apps than Cydia.”

The reason there are so few apps (specifically games and customization utilities) in Cydia, is the same reason there is no Installer on the iPhone yet.

These apps haven’t been updated by the individual developers. Cydia will only display apps that can run on your iPhone, and as the individual developers update their apps, they will appear in Cydia as well, so check back frequently.

Apps are being updated on a daily, if not hourly, basis. My favorite app, the NES emulator, is already available. I mean, be honest, the only reason we jailbreak in the first place is to play Super Mario Bros., right?

Installer 4.0 appears to address many of the shortcomings of the original Installer.app, the very issues that sparked saurik to develop Cydia.

Some things the new Installer is said to include, according to RiP Dev, are ‘dependencies’. This means if an app requires another app or package to be installed, it will automatically download the other packages and install them (as long as they are available).

Installer 4.0 will also be fully multi-threaded, so now you can refresh sources, browse packages, and install packages all at the same time; no more waiting for the “refreshing sources” message at the bottom of the screen to go away (sometimes 10 or 15 minutes later).

But the largest improvement that Installer 4.0 will boast is using sqlite database. Previously it used PLIST files which had to be fully downloaded every time sources were refreshed. Some of these files were rather large (700kb to 1mb for larger sources), putting a strain on the webservers hosting the files. Now we just get information added or removed since our last refresh. This will also make searching and startup muchimproved.

Whether your preference is the new Installer 4.0 or Cydia, rest assured they will both play nicely together. Some developers will only package their apps in an Installer repository, and some will only put theirs in Cydia, and of course some will publish to both. No matter what the developer’s preference you will be able to run Cydia, Installer, and AppStore all on your iPhone with no problems.

Original Site

First off Installer is great, easy to use, and the necessary tool for any Jailbreaker.

Pros
    Great GUI
    Easy To Use
    Adding And Removing Sources Is Easy
    Can Refresh One Source
    Installing And Uninstalling Is Easy
    Updating Is Easy
    Descriptions Of Apps Before Installing
    Creating a repo is very easy
    Has A Queue
    All Packages Ever Made Are Usually On A Installer Source
    Search Bar Both In Packages And Uninstall

Cons
    Refreshing Sources Takes Long, Also You Can't Do Anything As It Refreshes
    Takes Long Time To Load Subjects (With Lots Of Sources)
    No Alphabet Scroller

----------------------------------------------------------

Cydia is by far wins for best design and performance over all

Cydia Packager is Coded very well and is by far more superior then Installer

Pros
    Great GUI
    Easy To Use
    Refresh Very Fast And Updates Every time Opened While You Can Continue Using Cydia
    Installing And Uninstalling Is Easy
    Shows More About The App Before Downloading
    Has A Changes Section showing everything that's been updated or changed recently, This is also shows if you need Updates
    Faster Downloads
    Shows exactly how much is being downloaded and how much Space Will Be Used
    Shows the process Of Installing
    Alphabet Scroller
    Shows how many packages are in the subject
    Can Resume Download If Interrupted

Cons
    Manually Have To Add Sources
    No Queue
    Creating Repo Is Harded
    Less Packages / Sources

Overall Cydia Wins In Design But Installer Wins Because Most Things Are Made For A Installer Source

Installer 4.0 Is even using some of Cydia Techniques

Original Site

not my work but hope this clears it up
    Last edited by whateverman24791; 2008-07-31 at 05:08 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (2008-07-31)

There is a thread discussing the pros vs. cons with Cydia and Installer. Relocate that discussion here. and here As for the thread at hand, patience is a virtue. The less bugs included in the release of Installer 4.0 means less whining. Ultimately, it makes a happier community. SO just wait it out and you'll be happier. Until then, enjoy the software you have...

Reako
    Last edited by Reako; 2008-07-31 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks

oh yeah sry, i agree with reako..."patience is a virtue"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (2008-07-31)

Thanks

yea good point reako. i just miss installer i dont really like cydia but i can hold out till installer is running at its best

Thanks

well im just happy what cydia finally gave me SSH so i can have my very own SMS tones

14. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (2008-07-31)

Thanks

yea.. sweet