Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: why upgrade to 2.0?

Default why upgrade to 2.0?
    i see alot of people upgrading to 2.0 already even though mostly all the apps we really use on a daily basis or those that are even essential, aren't even ported yet to 2.0. what's the use? you're practically just going to be able to just make phone calls and play alot of games with your phone until everything is confirmed to be working with 2.0, which i'm pretty much guessing it'll take a month or two for just even most of the apps we use to be updated. but i guess in the meantime that's good enough for most people.
    Last edited by sabir415; 2008-07-30 at 06:55 PM.
    super PINOY B!TCH

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sabir415 For This Useful Post:

HITCH (2008-07-30)

I must ask, have you looked around the Appstore?
    Just Omnifocus alone is worth an upgrade to 2.0 if I had the 1st generation. Let's not forget, Exchange Support for those who sole purpose in life depends on it.

Hello sabir415,

Okay, even if you don't think that the App Store isn't worth the upgrade to 2.0 (which I don't agree with at all), you must take a look at the Safari browser. The Safari browser in firmware 2.0 is reported to be 1.7 times faster than the browser in the other firmwares! You can also save images in 2.0 firmware, and it has better support for YouTube embedded videos. I also like the feature that allows you to take screenshots. Mobile ME, Microsoft Exchange, and VPN are some other reasons to upgrade as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shan Gee View Post
    Hello sabir415,

Okay, even if you don't think that the App Store isn't worth the upgrade to 2.0 (which I don't agree with at all), you must take a look at the Safari browser. The Safari browser in firmware 2.0 is reported to be 1.7 times faster than the browser in the other firmwares! You can also save images in 2.0 firmware, and it has better support for YouTube embedded videos. I also like the feature that allows you to take screenshots. Mobile ME, Microsoft Exchange, and VPN are some other reasons to upgrade as well.
    App store = paid apps V/S installer = free apps

Safari is only as fast as it's connection.

I can save images in 1.1.3

Screen shot is a feature that has been in 1.1.3, 1.1.4, and 2.0 ....nothing new.

Mobile me.... you mean the service that doesn't work and has created the biggest complaint storm of any apple product launched to date in just a few weeks?

Until they actually give me something useful besides an apple cash cow, 2.0 can lick it..........

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have the funds to support most of the games and apps on the App Store, then the update is totally worth it. I must have spent close to $200 on apps, but 3rd party games can't compare . Things are going to start moving fast.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

im with shan i do have a 3g but i do believe 2.0 is better thres just soething bout. the appstore is just fun to go threw a look at. its worth the fun.
    iTouch 2.0 (free update/pwn'd)
    iPhone 3G white (pwn'd)
    MacBook Pro 15inch (using tethered)

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pingwhen View Post
    im with shan i do have a 3g but i do believe 2.0 is better thres just soething bout. the appstore is just fun to go threw a look at. its worth the fun.
    Spelling?
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Thanks

lol don't most browsers support spell check? It's built right into safari, and firefox too. =)

Thank you sabir415!!!
    That's the question I had in another thread and it hasn't been answered.

I don't upgrade, because I don't wanna go through the hassle of jailbreaking and all that again.
    About the features...I don't care for Omnifocus, I don't care for safari and I don't care for the app aps either!!!
    I'm pretty lame, huh!?

I use my phone mostly as a phone, for texting, emails, sometimes games and as an ipod.
    No need to upgrade.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 695 Posts

all those peaple who upgraded just for appstore im staying with 1.14 because i cant live with out VideosTone and summerboard any way some peaple are haveing problems on 2.0 and if you dont have a appstore acount which i cant because i live cyprus 1.14 for me by far tell what you guys think

Thanks

There's always a way to get a free account without a credit card no matter where you live. Google for it.

There's always a way to get a free account without a credit card no matter where you live. Google for it. As for videotones and summerboard, those were my favorite apps too, but summerboard will be here soon and I'm sure the people at iFonetec are working on videotones for 2.0
    Last edited by m3thodandr3d; 2008-07-30 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
    Thank you sabir415!!!
    That's the question I had in another thread and it hasn't been answered.

I don't upgrade, because I don't wanna go through the hassle of jailbreaking and all that again.
    About the features...I don't care for Omnifocus, I don't care for safari and I don't care for the app aps either!!!
    I'm pretty lame, huh!?
    I've wished for OmniFocus since the first day I purchased the first generation iPhone. It's a lifesaver for procrastinators such as myself on my Mac, and now on my mobile phone; with Location support.

one1, there are plenty of free applications in the app store. However here's my input, if an iPhone owner can afford to purchase it in the beginning. What's a few extra bucks in the App Store. If you refuse the update to 2.0 a few months from now, and avoid the App Store, I must say your iPhone will just compare to any other smartphone. I'm sorry I have to say, only 1 out 5 third party application can compare to an official app.

Also, the fact that my contacts, calendar are synced OTA is an enormous reason to upgrade. Before, I was a huge disadvantage to my Blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Mobile me.... you mean the service that doesn't work and has created the biggest complaint storm of any apple product launched to date in just a few weeks?

Until they actually give me something useful besides an apple cash cow, 2.0 can lick it..........
    I agree with your other statements, including the one about mobileMe. But don't forget Exchange support. I don't use mobileMe, however I do have an account since my .Mac was converted.
    Last edited by weezyhuy; 2008-07-30 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

For me its not about paying for apps. I want to be able to use categories to put my icons into menus like i do now. The last thing i want is several pages of icons to scroll trhough. I did try AppFlow which is neat but, I would like it better if one touch opened up my app list instead of two (first touch gets to Erica's splash screen).

Seems like even though folks have figured out how to manually change icons (I like transparent ones that let my wallpaper show) it will be difficult to incorporate purchased app icon changing into Summerboard due to the app naming scheme.

Although I just learned of a "must have app" for motorsports fans avalable on teh app store, Dynolicious - Auto Performance Meter for iPhone and iPod. I may just have to try again.

M son is going to buy a 3G phone since he only jailbroke his to get a skin which we can do manually. Maybe he can get dynolicious and I can use it on his phone.

I have a jailbroken 1.1.3 I was too lazy to go up to 1.1.4, because I knew 2.0 was coming. However, it seems we have mixed bag in terms of people who think its worth it to upgrade. I'm used to having all my apps and I have a definitely fear of losing them as I did when I made the jump from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3, which was a pain to re-jailbreak at the time. Basically I'm just going to mention apps that I don't want to lose and if I could get some feedback if they are running on 2.0 that would be much appreciated.

summerboard
    usirius
    pool
    orblive
    mmithemer
    phonezap