Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bricked Phone warranty

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Bricked Phone warranty
    A bit of a controversial topic (at list in my mind) but here it goes.

So you brick your phone because you tried to downgrade basebands, third party software, anything basically that apple doesn't deem kosher under their licensing agreements. You take it back to the apple store, make up some story that it just stopped working, they can;t get it running so they give you another.

Now, the question: is this moral? I mean I know it's possible, but you were the one that broke the phone. Technically it is no different than it falling out of your pocket and the screen breaking, right? You probably bricked it by accident, but it wasn't something Apple did.

Anyway, just wanted to hear what some of you think. My personal take is that it is imoral, however I would probably still do it. For limited money they could probably repair it (most likely no hardware issues, just the software is totally scrambled) and use it as a repair unit. Still, they are losing money... so this only makes me feel better for about five minutes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If there was apple store near me i wouldn't have a problem with it. because i find it stupid how apple banned 3rd party software. if apple would have made there own and maybe charged us like $5-$20 for it. i would of thought it would be wrong.

No software change to the phone should really be able to brick it - and modifications that don't cause the problem shouldn't void the warranty (and is requiring AT&T service for warranty a violation of Magnussen-Moss?) - so I find Apple's stance morally questionable at best.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Green Apple
    Thanks

if my phone got brick i would try to take it back......i dont care i think the should not banned the the third party apps....

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

the arguement I was making was not for third Peru apps but more for unlocking the phone
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    the arguement I was making was not for third Peru apps but more for unlocking the phone
    what a crazy arse question. have you nothing better to do...

Thanks

If you're gonna unlock your phone or use unauthorised apps, and it screws up, then you need to man up and take it on the chin. Not go running to Apple like a little crybaby.
    To live, you have to lie

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

honestly the price we pay for at&t and the phone in the first place make me think that no wrong is happening when i exchange my phone out for a new one. the price the consumer pays for is well worth the cost of switching out a phone or two.