Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone Not Receiving Email

Default Phone Not Receiving Email
    A couple days ago I bought a new iMac with leopard and set up my gmail account with the email app (on imac) and now my phone doesn't get the email's anymore, even when checked manually. Has anybody else had this problem or does anybody know a possible solution to get the computer and phone to work together?

I'm no expert when it comes to Macs but I would suspect that the email app you are using is MOVING the emails from gmail to your local computer (i.e. downloading the emails to your computer and then deleting them off gmail). Several programs I've used, such as Outlook Express, do this but have the option to leave messages on the server as well.

If this is what's happening, you won't get the emails on your iPhone because your computer already moved them off the server. I could be wrong but here's what I would check. Check your email app to see if it has an option to leave mail on the server OR disable/remove the gmail account from your email app (just as a test) and see if the emails start showing up on your iPhone. That might give you a clue into what's going on...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrfusi0n For This Useful Post:

cates044 (2008-07-30)

Quote Originally Posted by mrfusi0n View Post
    I'm no expert when it comes to Macs but I would suspect that the email app you are using is MOVING the emails from gmail to your local computer (i.e. downloading the emails to your computer and then deleting them off gmail). Several programs I've used, such as Outlook Express, do this but have the option to leave messages on the server as well.

If this is what's happening, you won't get the emails on your iPhone because your computer already moved them off the server. I could be wrong but here's what I would check. Check your email app to see if it has an option to leave mail on the server OR disable/remove the gmail account from your email app (just as a test) and see if the emails start showing up on your iPhone. That might give you a clue into what's going on...
    Thanks for the help.
    I went into the preferences on the mail.app (computer) and found an option "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message" and I dissabled that. Now my phone and computer both receive emails but if i read a message in the inbox (of computer app) the email will get removed from my phone. Even if i check the email on my phone first, then check the email on my computer it will still erase the email from my phone. Any ideas?

Glad to hear you got it at least partially working. As for this new problem, I would still look at settings on your computer's email program. I also use gmail but I check my email using the gmail website (from my computer) and using the iPhone app. For me, if I check my email on my iPhone and get 2 new messages, then read one of the messages on my computer using mail.google.com, and then check the email again on my iPhone, I still have both messages but one is now marked as read. If that's not how it works for you, I would strongly suspect the email app you are using on your computer. It sounds like the app is deleting messages off the server once they are read. The iPhone seems to "sync" it self with the server instead of "downloading" from the server. For example, if you delete an email from the server, it will also get deleted from the phone. In your case, I would suspect the computer email app is doing the deleting from the server instead of just marking the emails as read.