Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wifi not working

Default wifi not working
    I'm having an issue getting wifi working on my iPhone. I have an original iPhone running the 2.0 firmware.

Originanlly the wifi stopped working back on 1.1.4, but when i upgraded to 2.0 it started working for about a week and a half. I tried restoring and it wouldn't work again, so I jailbroke my phone and it worked again for a couple days then stopped. Now I can get it to work for about 5 minutes if I reflash my phone with boot-neuter, but other than that i get no connection at all, even if I hold my phone right next to a wireless router. I won't even pick up the network.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

maybe its the router

Thanks

Electronic interference? Have you tried connecting to the Router manually? Go to Wifi, click on "other". Type in the name of your Router's SSID, the Security and see if it finds it that way.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I've tried that as well it just sits on the screen with the text "Joining network" at the top of the screen. I've left it there for about 15 minutes without luck. It could possibly be wireless interference but I have 4 other computers, a wii and a PS3 that all see it without any difficulty. I'll try turning all electrical components near the wifi router off later this evening

Thanks

Is your router set to broadcast SSID?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

yes, it broadcasts it. occasionally the phone will pick it up but not long enough to get a good connection, but for the most part there's nothing in my list of available networks

Hi I have EXACTLY the same problem and it's driving me crazy!

It's not the router because:
    - Other iPhones (with and without the same firmware) work fine with it
    - I have the same problems with all other wifi networks I've tried
    - I have not changed any settings on the router and it was working fine before

It also seems unlikely to be the hardware because:
    - I had no problems before upgrading to 1.1.4
    - Why would the wifi chip just stop working, for what seems like a lot of people all at the same time?

So it seems like the software is the problem. I have tried resetting network settings, downgrading to 1.1.4, erasing/resetting the baseband and pretty much everything else mentioned on any forum about this problem, all without any success at all.

All that is left to try that I can think of is to downgrade to firmware version before 1.1.4, say 1.1.2 - has anyone tried this?

Also, I might try skipping the unlock process, since I am with AT&T anyway, so don't really need to do this.

Anyway, I'm glad to see others are having the same problem - I'm sure we'll sort this out between us!

Thanks

Also, I might try skipping the unlock process, since I am with AT&T anyway, so don't really need to do this.
    I was having the same issue since I first winpwnd to 1.1.4. I suspected teh same thing about the unlock and yesterday I actually returned to full stock then updated to 2.0 and re-pwned.

There are some neat things about the 2.0 but everything was very laggy and I didnt like every app asking if it was ok to send location. Also missed my apps from 1.1.4. Some app store apps are pretty good but I had everything I wanted on teh 1.1.4.

So today I successfully downgraded back to 1.1.4 and re-pwned, this time without the unlock. SO far things seem very stable. Regarding the network settings, I made sure I restored as a "new iphone" and did not restore network preferences with my TimeCapsule.app

Ok, so I seem to have sorted the problem (fingers crossed - in the past it has appeared to be fixed and then gone wrong again after a few days).

I reverted to itunes 7.5 and restored to 1.1.4, then I used ziphone to erase the baseband. I then reinstalled itunes 7.7 and used winpwn to upgrade to firmware 2.0. Wifi then seems to work perfectly.
    I have also disabled edge in bossprefs as suggested in another thread.

I have done all of this a few times before without success so I'm not sure what was different this time?? I suspect it is related to the baseband though.

Boys......Go to settings with WiFi set to On...Select your WiFI and tap on the Blue Arrow.

Under 'DHCP" you can change the DNS Servers.
    Under "Static" you can edit all the information manually.

Option 1

Try OpenDNS

Set your DNS to: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Option 2

Under Static Tab:

IP Address: 192.168.1.150
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

So try this. It might be good to go to settings/General/Reset/Resetnetworksetting and do the reset.

Chris
    If you find my Postings useful or interesting. Press the .... Thanks Button.

This kind of assumes that you can see the network in the first place.

As I feared, my wireless has gone again.
    Networks appear/disappear connect/disconnect. Even when it is "connected" there is no actual internet access.

I did install a few applications in between it working fine and now, but I have installed of these and still have problems.

I give up - if anyone has any luck with this, let me know.
    Last edited by tomr; 2008-07-31 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just tried restoring as you did with absolutely no luck at all.

I'm still willing to entertain new ideas

Thanks

Here's my latest. I have network very consistently in teh weakest zone of my house now. I moved my wireless router to the top of my computer hutch. It is about 18 inches from the ceiling. I went upstairs and have the fastest wifi I have ever had and no disconnects. looking in Stumbler.app i saw that my home wifi signal is twice as strong as my neighbors now. This was with a very low battery on my iPhone. I had already received a low battery warning.

So for any of you having wifi issues, you may want to check and see if you are in range of competing wifi networks. Changing the channel on the router wont help as the iPhone finds the channel automatically. So if you are getting other networks nearby with similar signal strengths to your own, the answer is do anything to make your signal stronger.

The iPhone does not like a weak wifi signal. I discovered that I cannot reliably connect to any network if the signal strength as indicated by Stumbler.app is less than 12-15. My laptop will connect if the signal shown by my iPhone is as low as 3 or 4. I believe that is because I am able to set my channel manually on my laptop.

Well, I have the only wifi network within about 300 ft. no other devices in my house see any other networks, and the iphone won't even see the network when it's 10 inches from the router. I even took it to my friendly neighborhood starbucks to try and get a signal and it doesn't see anything.

I wish it was something as simple as the signal being too weak.

Try putting your iphone in the fridge for a while.
    I think you'll find that when you take it out wifi works for a couple of minutes.

So it looks like it might be a power management/hardware issue...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tomr For This Useful Post:

7an3na (2009-04-25)

Thanks

The fridge thing is actually not a bad idea. I was having a tough time last weekend - was outside in 90 degree heat all day and noticed my phone getting very hot. I stuck it on top of plastic in the ice cooler for a while and it helped... This is a trick Ive used to get a dying hard drive to spin up as well. The heat makes the hardware swell up so to speak and by cooling it it will "shrink" it back .