Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G back on 1st Gen IPhone?

Default 3G back on 1st Gen IPhone?
    Is it possible to take the back housing off of a 3g iphone and swap it onto a 1st generation iphone? If so has anyone done it before and are there any pictures? Also is there any place to buy a replacment 3g back?

You'd need to use the LCD display from the 3G as well, if you see how it's disassembled, and how the first-gen iPhone is disassembled that they're quite different. Thought it would be nice to see a 3G iPhone look alike backing for the first-gen phone. I'd buy it.

No...they're assembled differently, to even have a chance of being able to do that you'd need the lcd display, as the backing of the 3G are screwed together.

alright, thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the 3g is wider as well, so it wouldn't fit even if it attached the same way. They don't have the same dimensions, even though they are close.

If you used the 3G display and backing I bet you could use the same internals from the first-gen iPhone. The headphone jack might be trouble as far as I can see. But that would be a waste to spend that much for looks. You'd be better off getting a black replacement backing if you want black on the first-gen.