Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Dillema

Default iPhone Dillema
    Ok, so i live in Canada and i went to Rogers to buy an iPhone.
    I asked if i was eligible for an upgrade and the Rogers salesperson checked his computer and said that i was, and said that if i upgraded it would cost 250$ for the 8G and 350$ for the 16G...
    But he also said that when i upgrade i MUST add on a 30$ per month on top of my original plan for an EDGE/3G data plan.
    I don't want to add 30$ per month on top of my original plan, because it is too expensive, plus i probably wont be using 3G as much as i will be using Wi-Fi.
    So i asked to sign a waver that would remove the 30$ per month 3G/EDGE data plan....
    So its all good now...
    but then i read the waver and it stated that if my Wi-Fi signal is low, it will automatically drop to the 3G network which will cost me even more money than a monthly plan would....
    So then i asked if there was a setting on the phone that would turn off 3G so that it doesn't connect to 3G at all, so that i don't have to pay for 3G charges.... The Salesperson said that there was no way to turn off the 3G, so there was no way to prevent 3G charges.
    So i went to the model iPhone in front of the store and i went to- Settings>General>Network....And i CLEARLY saw a switch that turns 3G ON and OFF...
    So..is Apple just trying to screw me over here or if i sign the waver am i doing the right thing..
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    iPhone 8G
    1.1.4 Unlocked on Rogers (ZiPhone)
    Jailbroken
    Windows XP + Mac OS X Leopard

It sounds like the salesman just wasn't aware of that feature of the phone. If you sign that waiver, I just suggest you get at least some sort of media package that will cover you when your phone drops to EDGE (which it will do if 3G is turned off).

Thanks

Turning 3G off does not turn EDGE off, so you would continue to receive data charges. Through programs like Bossprefs however, you can also turn EDGE off. The Sales guy wouldn't know this because it would have to be jailbroken.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Yes, you are correct, but what if you call Rogers and tell them to disable any incoming internet or EDGE settings on your phone....i believe they can do that....can they?
    iPhone 8G
    Jailbroken

Thanks

Yes, they can block internet if you wish. But wouldn't you rather have the option of turning on/off yourself? By the way, they'll block it for free, but they'll charge you a fee to reactivate it again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

chesky69 (2008-07-30)

Really?..i never knew that.. thanks for the help..i bought my 3G today and everything is perfecto
    iPhone 8G
    Jailbroken

guys you can turn edge off just by changing the APN in edge settings ,just delete a few letters and you set.
    people in this forum can confirm this.
    or tell rogers to put a block for any data usage.

Thanks

Rogers won't block data usage, it's basically an all or nothing deal. They will block Internet, but that means no wap, email, or anything else.