Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Canadian sending iphone for Warranty - questions

Unhappy Canadian sending iphone for Warranty - questions
    Hi there,

Well the iphone i got for my GF is having serious issues with dead spots on the touch screen. She's been struggling with it for a while but it just got worse now she cant use the middle keys in the keypad.

So i'm sending it back for repair.

I had to phone the US apple care. I originally purchased it from them directly and had it shipped to Pembina ND (20 min across the Manitoba border) then drove across and picked it up.

They told me that I do have hardware warranty showing when they entered the serial number and i told them that I had never activated it. Sure that raised some eyebrows but they bought it.

So they told me I need a US address for them to ship the repair box to, then they will send it back to that address when it is fixed. So I'm going to send my phone off to a friend to get the work done.

My question is, since I got the phone back in the early days, I will need to revirginize. Thinking I will put 1.0.2 back on it (im on 1.1.1 now with 4.01 baseband using rogers). Plan on using the guide from the wiki here:
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dow...nd_OS_X_iPhone

Anyone see any problems with this? So i'll flash the baseband then restore down to 1.0.2 and send it off.

Also, if anyone has done this, do you get back the same phone ie. 1.0.2 still on it, or do they send yours or a new one back with 1.1.3?

Hope everything works out. For you Canadians, in the iphone warranty sheet it says nothing about having to activate to get warranty so don't let them use that bs on you.

Cheers

YA it says on their site that the activation has nothing to do with the warranty when you check info.

But as for what you will get back. It will probably be a refurb might even be 1.1.3....... then hopefully not but most likely either 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 just wish for 1.1.1....

Well good luck with that I'm from Toronto so I'm in the same boat as you...... well my iphone been fine so far........ besides the random black screen of death once in a blue moon that requires a quick reset.

Thanks

iBiochemist,

Hopefully its fixable. If not they may replace your phone in which case it will be the new bootloader in which you'll need a SIM emulator (as long as its not 1.1.3) to use it. Good luck on that and please let us know how this all plays out for you. Good for the rest of us Canucks to know.

cheers,
    e

As a side note, MalayZN: Apa khabar?
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)

Green Apple
    Thanks

i can almost guarantee it will be a 1.1.2 if not 113 sent one of this month and this month and they both came back as 112. they pretty much verfy its doing what u said then pack up a new/refub and mail it backi sent one in on a tues and had it back on thurs so there pretty damn fast!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw05 View Post
    i can almost guarantee it will be a 1.1.2 if not 113 sent one of this month and this month and they both came back as 112. they pretty much verfy its doing what u said then pack up a new/refub and mail it backi sent one in on a tues and had it back on thurs so there pretty damn fast!
    Ya it would be fast if i could send it directly. Unfortunately I have to mail it to a friend in Maryland, then when they get the box they will send it in. Once its fixed it gets sent back to Maryland then buddy has to send it back to me. PITA but no other way . . .

Thanks for the replies guys, ya hope its not a 1.1.3 they send back

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

You will most likely get a 1.1.3, MAYBE a 1.1.2 depending on how quickly you get it done. honestly your best bet (if you want a working iphone that can make calls) in my opinion is to just buy a replacement Lcd. if this is NOT an option, then just send it back and enjoy your 1.1.3 paperweight for a while :/

Another option you have is to sell the thing on eBay. Even with the dead pixels the version you have (fully sim unlockable) will go for alot of money. Then just buy another phone (which will be 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 for sure just like a repair they will send you) and you will at least make some money on the deal. This way you can probably afford a turbosim for a 1.1.2 and still use the phone function!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2008-01-17 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost