Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipod dock killed my phone?

Default Ipod dock killed my phone?
    So last night I was at a friends house and wanted to listen to some music. I popped my phone (1st gen iPhone, 2.0) into one of those iHome ipod docks and instead of getting the "This accessory was not made to work with the iphone" message, the screen just dissolved into all white. I pulled it out and the screen went black, then I was holding it and it was super hot. Now I can't turn it on, can't dock it, and can't connect it to my computer to restore. Is it possible that this dock completely fried my phone? I'm still under warranty, but it's just really annoying dealing with this...

It isn't the dock that done it. My assumption would be that your iPhone was doing a task or something of the sort and when plugged in it started another task and the two completely conflicted with one another starting your trouble. It could have happened if anything was plugged into it at that time. Try to force into DFU while connected to the computer and see if you can get that. If not, although I understand the frustration, chalk it up as a bad experience and get it replaced.
    "Count your blessings. Make your blessings count!"

Is that an iPhone in your pocket?

Nope, it IS the dock. It happened to me a few months ago. Apple replaced the phone. If this happened any time the iphone was "doing a task or something" there would be lots of complaints. Dock fried your phone.

Thanks ISUVols, that's what I figured. I think I watched my phone get fried to death, like I just put it in and the screen went bezerk...ahhh, now I have to make my way to the apple store. Thanks

Thanks

That exact SAME thing happened to me, except BOSE ipod speaker set fried mine. It died. I took it to the Genius bar at an apple store, and told them that it went off the fritz and died. Needless to say, he couldnt turn it on. He went to the back and came back with a plain white box. In the box was a new iphone and i with it, no charge! They did take up my old one though.

Would apple offer replacement for unlocked iphones which never activated on AT&T?

My iPhone got the exact the same problem after it's plugged into a ipod car charger.

After a few attempts to restore, it's now stuck in DFU, gets 160* errors everytime I try to restore it.

Thanks

I don't know how that works. They did take up my serial number and on my recipt had the original purchase date. But I don't remember them asking for a credit card or proof of ID. It could work.