Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Re-flashing bootloader

Unhappy Re-flashing bootloader
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 8gb EDGE version, and I recently upgraded and unlocked its firmware to 2.0 using winpwn. This first time around went great, everything worked great. But at the time winpwn had an issue with Cydia being installed, so i didnt have it on my iPhone. So I then decided to re-do the whole process a few days after when they have fixed the Cydia problem, this way I get that package manager as well as app-store. This initially went fine, until I did the noobyish thing I can think of, I ran bootneuter without setting autolock or never, so naturally it crashed half way through. After this I have been getting errors with bootneuter, so I decided to (unknowningly) make thinks worse by putting my iphone into DFU mode and trying to restore it and restart the process in a hope to start again, but now Im getting errors when I restore in iTunes 7.7: 1064. Im assuming I have a damaged bootloader, can anyone help me on how to fix it? remebering that I can now only put my iphone in DFU when it starts now, because it is really stuffed.

Thanks so much for all your help

btw, if this is in the wrong forum I am very sorry, this is my first thread here and Im just getting used to using forums.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Tricky... so when bootneuter was running and crashed... was it "flashing your baseband" or "flashing your bootloader"? Additionally what firmware are you trying to restore to in iTunes... the stock or custom firmware? Lastly... Just to be sure... when you say DFU mode there is nothing but BLACK on the screen when you hit restore, correct? If there is a cable + itunes logo this is recovery mode, not DFU.

Hi Poseidon79, thanks for the quick reply,

I believe it was in flashing bootloader, but I'm not 100% sure. I have trying to restore it to both 2.0 stock and a custom 2.0 both having the same error. And the screen is black and itunes recognises the iphone is in DFU mode.
    Its a pretty horrible situation to be in, because I can even get the phone to boot obviously to do any work/repairs on it.

Thanks again

Thanks

Well the good news is that if you can't get the phone to boot at all, you may be able to take it in for warranty and just "act stupid". "I have NO idea what happened... it just wouldn't boot up this morning?! Duuuur.." Something retarded like that, haha. Maybe they'll take pitty on you and swap your phone out. If your bootloader is hosed then you have a brick.

Hmmm... that isnt really good news for me, i bought mine in america before christmas, is there anyway i can just re-flash the bootloader? And what if it was the baseband that is broken, what would happen then? When I turn my iphone on it waits for a second, then goes to the recovery screen with the itunes logo. Could a baseband problem be fixed?

thanks

Thanks

If you can't get the phone to boot (because of a bad bootloader) then there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to re-flash it. It's not like a PC where you can boot from a CD-ROM (external drive) and then fix your issues and flash your BIOS. Bootneuter is very clear about the risks involved due to this situation. I feel your pain.

no wait, it shows the apple logo and then goes to the recovery screen, but this is only because the firmware didnt install properly, so I just hope that it isnt a bootloader issue. Im trying one more time to restore it on a different machine, with stock 2.0. Lets hope this fixes the issue! :S

Yeah thanks Poseidon97, i appreciate the understanding. but i guess this might just be the insentive I need to get the 3G 16GB version, its just so expensive. There going on ebid atm for quite cheap, just I dont trust them.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2008-07-25 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ok.. if you phone will boot to recovery mode that's a great sign! Worst case you may want to attempt to downgrade back to 1.1.4 if you continue to get errors 16XX.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html

OK great! Thanks Poseidon79! Im going to try that sometime 2day hopefully, and when I do I'll post a reply on what I've found.

Thanks again

Hey just had the same problem as you did I just fixed it all I did was downgrade back too 1.1.4 the only wat you can do this is too download iTunes 7.5 uninstall iTunes 7.7 delete the iTunes folder in Music if your on windows download 1.1.4 and shitclick restore in iTunes worked perfect for me heres the link: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html

Yep downgrading to version 1.1.4 fixes the problem

Downgrading to 1.1.4 worked! Now I've upgraded it again to 2.0, Ive had a couple of baseband issues with Bootneuter, but nothing I cant overcome now I can boot! Thanks very much for all your help!

For anyone else that has problems with this check the thread here:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...-progress.html

I had the same problem (except worse) where I interrupted bootnueter and bricked my phone, but ended up being able to fix it. Hope this helps!

Is there a point in even changing your bootloader?