Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why is "other" showing I have 1.6GB's in my phone?!

Default Why is "other" showing I have 1.6GB's in my phone?!
    Ok.. I know I don't have much on this phone & I've seen people's screen shots on this forum.. yet I have 1.6 GB's taking up space in "other".. I dont even have a full two pages of 3rd party apps..maybe 12-14 tops. I used Boss Tool to bring over stuff from the small space to the large space. Is that what's taking up so much room?

screenshot:

Here you see what apps I have now.. Hidden is boss tools, contacts, SSH, fieldtest, DemoApp

btw, if anyone know's where I can get the reflective dock icon for mail I'd appreciate it

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jodiedicie's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you ever have SwapTunes or SwapPhotos installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jodiedicie View Post
    Did you ever have SwapTunes or SwapPhotos installed?
    Yes I did actually.. I had swaptunes installed but never did plug my iPhone into another computer ever. I removed it a day or so ago. Could that be the problem and if so, how do I go about bringing down the memory storage?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jodiedicie's Avatar
    Thanks

First, check your iPod and make sure the library you want is actually there

Then go into var/root/Media and see if you have 2 iTunes_Control folders

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jodiedicie For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (2008-01-16), hozay09 (2008-01-16)

Quote Originally Posted by Jodiedicie View Post
    First, check your iPod and make sure the library you want is actually there

Then go into var/root/Media and see if you have 2 iTunes_Control folders

ok.. I went into that in iphonebrowser and saw that I do have 2 itunes_Control folders.. one marked _Control2.. I tried deleting the second however it won't allow me to do so & now when I uploaded a tv show I noticed the "other" increased again!

Quote Originally Posted by hozay09 View Post
    ok.. I went into that in iphonebrowser and saw that I do have 2 itunes_Control folders.. one marked _Control2.. I tried deleting the second however it won't allow me to do so & now when I uploaded a tv show I noticed the "other" increased again!
    Install swaptunes again and swap your library then SSH into you phone and delete your Control 2 folders.

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Install swaptunes again and swap your library then SSH into you phone and delete your Control 2 folders.
    Ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

So I'm currently still having trouble with this storage issue. Currently I am showing 2.29GB in the "other" area.. I have no clue on how to remove this. I am now running 1.1.3 jailbroken..

Default same here
    I never used this program but the size of "other" is huge...anyone with ideas?

ok...i was using iBrickr to see if I could discover what was taking up all the space...

I found that there was the exact size of "other" classified as photo thumbnails - i deleted them and removed the photos in the iphone and resync and then added them back and resynced

now I have recovered over 1 gig in space...yeee haaa!

try that to see if it works...
    Last edited by jbarbosa68; 2008-02-12 at 02:50 AM.

Also make sure you delete your photos from the iphone through the photo app, not from windows, os x, or even ssh. This will create a blank file that still is the same size of the original photo. I know it would take a lot of these to account for all that space, but it's just a thought.

I'm getting really frustrated with this & considering wiping out my phone completely because of this but worried that might not work. Worse case I'm gonna sell my 8GB and pick up a 16GB. I've tried everything to get my "other" space dropped but it's well over 2GB's!!!!