Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone else all of a sudden getting free data on Rogers?

Default Anyone else all of a sudden getting free data on Rogers?
    Anyone else come across this? My iPhone and now 4 people I know who all have first Gen. iPhones, running firmware 2.0,unlocked, all of a sudden started getting free data. The thing is none of us actually have signed up for a data plan, we just have regular voice plans and noticed today that edge was working. When I called Rogers to make sure I was not all of a sudden on a data plan, they told me I was not and my plan is the same. I kept my mouth shut and as of right now I and four of my friends have free data. Is this a screw up by Rogers and are more people out there also noticing this?

Damn, keep us updated.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you may somehow get charged for this by the kb so i'd say be careful. just becuase your'e not signed up for a data plan doesn't mean you can't connect to it and get charged later, like how you'd get charged for text messages even if you dont' have some type of a text message plan.

Some more info. I have had the same plan for over two years, and have had my unlocked iphone on this plan for about 8 months. My data has never worked before, I updated to firmware 2.0 three days ago and all of a sudden today the data just started working out of the blue. I will keep an eye on what jtesnani said in his post, and make sure I don't get charged, but the weird thing is four of my friends also got their data working today as well.

Wow, your gonna get screwed..

when u update to 2.0 the apn settings u blocked/purposely messed up get restored to its normal state. Because of that u are getting free internet as well as getting charged.

No you dont have a data plan and the rep was correct, however u are getting charged 5cents a kb and i hope u havent been taking advantage of this because u ARE GETTING CHARGED and will see it in your next bill. Have fun fighting the charges...

it gets even stranger. I have been telling everyone I know about this and my brother could not believe I was all of a sudden getting free data. He and his wife both have first gen iphones and are on a family plan together, he just added the $30 for 6 gig data plan to his contract like 3 weeks ago but his wife's plan stayed the same. So he was able to get data on his phone but she was not able to on hers. So he goes and takes the Sim cards out of the phones and swaps them to see if his data would work on his wife phone, of course it did. Now the thing is when he swapped them back his wife's data kept working! he almost fell on the floor. He now has two phones working over edge which only one of them he is playing for. He called Rogers to make sure that his wife for sure does not have data on her plan and they told him that no only his phone number is the plan with data. Can anyone else try this and see if it works for them. Oh I forgot they are on Firmware2.0

xxfirexx
    thanks for the heads up I will keep a eye on this and let everyone know what happens. I will call Rogers tomorrow and see what is going on.
    Last edited by dp23; 2008-07-25 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by dp23 View Post
    it gets even stranger. I have been telling everyone I know about this and my brother could not believe I was all of a sudden getting free data. He and his wife both have first gen iphones and are on a family plan together, he just added the $30 for 6 gig data plan to his contract like 3 weeks ago but his wife's plan stayed the same. So he was able to get data on his phone but she was not able to on hers. So he goes and takes the Sim cards out of the phones and swaps them to see if his data would work on his wife phone, of course it did. Now the thing is when he swapped them back his wife's data kept working! he almost fell on the floor. He now has two phones working over edge which only one of them he is playing for. He called Rogers to make sure that his wife for sure does not have data on her plan and they told him that no only his phone number is the plan with data. Can anyone else try this and see if it works for them. Oh I forgot they are on Firmware2.0

xxfirexx
    thanks for the heads up I will keep a eye on this and let everyone know what happens. I will call Rogers tomorrow and see what is going on.

hey man i work for rogers, so ill tell you this.
    when u upgraded to 2.0 threes no way to disable the edge settings (even though 3g is off, edge will be on)

even if you dont have a data plan you can always use edge, data plans just make it less expensive..

not having a data doesnt mean you cant use the internet.

you will be charged so i suggest you call rogers and disable the internet caus YOU will be charged and data charges are expensive, you will be looking around 1000 bill just on data. however they offer a 1 time goodwill credit for data so you will be saved...for now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to unplug For This Useful Post:

dp23 (2008-07-25)