Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bubbles forming under glass on iPhone

Default Bubbles forming under glass on iPhone
    There are tiny bubbles forming under the glass on my wife's iPhone. It has always been carried in her purse, never left in extreme temperatures and has never been exposed to any significant amount of moisture. Have any of you experienced this and if so what did you find as the culpret and what did you / Apple do to resolve the issue. Apple techs here are recomending replacement of the device.

Thanks,

GenghisPhlip

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisPhlip View Post
    There are tiny bubbles forming under the glass on my wife's iPhone. It has always been carried in her purse, never left in extreme temperatures and has never been exposed to any significant amount of moisture. Have any of you experienced this and if so what did you find as the culpret and what did you / Apple do to resolve the issue. Apple techs here are recomending replacement of the device.

Thanks,

GenghisPhlip
    Sounds very odd indeed. It actually sounds more like a screen protector is wearing off. Are you certain its the glass itself?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Sounds very odd indeed. It actually sounds more like a screen protector is wearing off. Are you certain its the glass itself?
    There is no screen protector on the device. The bubbles are definately underneath the glass. Pixel test shows that everything is working fine. We noticed one bubble about 2 months ago. I was messing around with her phone the other day and noticed that the number of bubbles had grown to 6. That is when I contacted Apple and they recomended replacement. I carry an iPhone myself (usually in my pants pocket) and have not had any of the bubbles show up at all. I am just wondering if anyone else out there has seen the same thing so that I can continue to set my expectation level for this device.

Thanks,

GenghisPhlip

Thanks

Never seen or heard of it. Sorry.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

I'll try to get some pics of the issue up tonight.

GenghisPhlip

I did a search of posts containing the word bubbles and found that curt2121 reported this same issue a couple of months ago. The photos that he included in his report identify exactly the same issue that I am having. Anyone else seeing this?

GenghisPhlip
    Last edited by GenghisPhlip; 2008-01-15 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I remember that Thread from a couple of months ago. He didn't post any pictures either.
    Are you using a screen protector?

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    I remember that Thread from a couple of months ago. He didn't post any pictures either.
    Are you using a screen protector?
    He said earlier in the thread that he wasn't using one.

Just let it dry out.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    He said earlier in the thread that he wasn't using one.
    OK Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    Just let it dry out.
    LOL
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2008-01-15 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sounds interesting that there are bubbles under the screen when it hasn't been in contact with significant moisture. Working a in retail wireless store I have heard that many times. It is embarassing for people to say that it was dropped in water, or was in contact with water. One day I was ironing a dress shirt and noticed that my iphone was in its holster right at the level of the ironing board while I was using a large amount of steam. I was lucky, but even if you never actually dropped it in water, or spilled something on it, water can attack a phone, ever without you realizing it. An investigation would yeild some answers??

Just a thought.
    2.2 pwned!!

Default Resolved for me but the mystery remains
    I took the phone to the Apple store and the 'Genius' looked at it and said "We're going to have to replace this" and proceeded with the replacement process. I asked him if he had ever seen it before and he said that he had seen it but offered no explanation. Oh well. I am glad to have the issue resolved for me but in the interest of the iPhone community I would like to keep this thread going. If anyone else has seen this or has heard any explanations as to why this would happen please discuss here.

Thank you all for your posts,

GenghisPhlip

well i have the same problem and the bubbles have increased to 15. Pity iPhones are not in Singapore legally. Have to live with it.

Hmm... trade in a 8G for a 16G - let me think about that.
    Found a pic on engadget Bubbles

Yeah, there's an article on engadget about the bubble issue today. The read link directs you to the discussion board on the Apple site. Apparently Apple is aware that there is an issue but they are not releasing any details on the cause of the issue.

GenghisPhlip

Brilliant. Ive just bought an iphone off ebay and it has 4 bubbles in screen.

Matt

Boy, I am going thru the same bubble issue. So the only remedy is to go to an Apple Store...?

that happened to a friend of mine. He got it replaced
    AIM: llprricanll
    EMAIL ME HERE

Make your Own installer Repository:
    click here
    (only for MMi users).