Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: howto: fix lagging keyboard in 2.0

Default howto: fix lagging keyboard in 2.0
    as many of you have noticed that the keyboard in version 2.0 lags quite a bit when you try to type in sms or safari. I noticed that when this occurs I end up hearing two key clicks rather than one. So I turned off the keyboard sound and it solved the issue. Settings > sound > keyboard to off. I'm thinking that the delayed keyboard sound is also causing the keys to lag in order to keep the key animation in sync. Someone else give this a try and see if my theory is correct.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foureight84 For This Useful Post:

llol_slim (2008-07-25)

do you feel like the whole entire phone is lagging? like when you tap on settings, the page/background will change, but the menus/buttons won't pop up until after a little while. i've notice that the 2.0 fw is really slow on my 1st gen iphone. i even notice it when i made a phone call. i tapped on a name in the recent menu, and it took a bit longer for the phone to go into call/phone mode.

maybe it's just me, but this new 2.0 is much slower than the previous fw.
    1st Gen iPhone 2.0 - Jailbroken and Unlocked on T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by titeo View Post
    do you feel like the whole entire phone is lagging? like when you tap on settings, the page/background will change, but the menus/buttons won't pop up until after a little while. i've notice that the 2.0 fw is really slow on my 1st gen iphone. i even notice it when i made a phone call. i tapped on a name in the recent menu, and it took a bit longer for the phone to go into call/phone mode.

maybe it's just me, but this new 2.0 is much slower than the previous fw.
    +1 not a fan of 2.0 so far

Thanks

agreed 2.0 is not as stable as 1.1.4 but its definitely got some cool new features
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it has a lot better performance, but it seems like there are a few things that need to be ironed out...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

a few features do lag a lot more in 2.0 than the previous. the contact list is slower and just plain sluggish at random times. sms takes a lot longer to load when you open. it seems like apple focused more on the new features and didn't bother to fix anything else.

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

I think 2.0 was pushed out the door before it was really ready for primtime. It seems like this is the rule with major Apple improvements. With 1.0 MobileSafari was unstable as balls, with 1.1.3 we had bungled SMS, and with 2.0 we get stability problems. By the time we get 2.0.2 I'm sure everything will be gravy :P

2.1 is already in beta testing. apparently there will be more gps features like direction prediction, and live movement. all of this is probably gearing towards the use of the 3g iphone as a gps driving direction assist module.

Thanks

Haha, if things go well, we hope by 2.0.2 we should have some form of video recorder and/or mms...
    Then the problems will keep cropping up...
    For how fast its developing its probably just some 176 year old china-man working on it in a dark room, only connecting to Jobs via AIM...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

works for me, thank you!
    Not ideal, as I love the clicking sound and is helpful when you start typing fast, but its a worthy sacrafice to have a keyboard that keeps up with me.

Cheers

Hmm this can't be a fix as I have the lagging SMS keys issue, however I never have keyboard clicks on.

Also the issue is not permanent, it happens sometimes and not others so it must have some other source than just the sound effects?

Unless I have a different kind of problem from other people maybe?

Thanks

nah, the firmware 2.0 just experiences a lot of lag
    we have to deal with it..
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

yeah, my 2G iPhone is laggy at times and it is very annoying. When I open Settings it takes about 3 seconds to pop up, not to mention the contacts is slow as well. Hopefully these bugs are fixed in the next update.