Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Move icons using .plist files in 2.0?

Default Move icons using .plist files in 2.0?
    I have an original iPhone, which has the dreaded dead-strip on the lower portion of the screen.

I have jailbroken it (2.0 firmware version of Pwned), and I have been attempting to edit the M68AP.plist file to move all of the icons that are presently in the button bar to higher on the screen.

As of now, I cannot get to my missed calls list, voicemail, iPod, Safari, etc. because the screen is dead. I can't use 'wiggle' to move them, because that portion of the screen is dead, and I can't grab them to drag them out.

I am assuming that since 1.1.3 modifying the M68AP.plist file does not actually work. Does anyone know where the icon location information is stored now?

My phone is out of warranty, and I don't have the money to replace it. Either I need to find a way to limp by with it partly dead for a while, or go get a cheap phone and swap the sim card. (GASP)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

iPhone Touchscreen Fix: Increase Sensitivity

grab the 1.1.1 files; they work in 2.0

Thank you for the comment. I should have mentioned that. I've already tried the increase sensitivity patch, and dropped the sensitivity all the way down to 0 (for those of you who don't know - 0 is the most sensitive) - it didn't affect my iPhone at all. It's still completely dead on the lower half of the screen.

That is why I've been attempting to just move the icons at the very bottom of the screen up to a higher row - where I can actually access them.

Ok if 0 is most sensitive why have I heard people talk about -15 or -20

Thanks

The touch settings do not affect sensitivity. What they do is bi-locate the affective area where you touch the screen.

Simply meaning the default setting of 3.5 means the screen will react exactly center of where you press your finger. If you lower it to 0, the screen will think you're pressing the screen 1 centimeter below where you're actually pressing. Setting it to 7 will make the screen think you're pressing 1 centimeter above where you're actually pressing. This works in increments of 1 centimeter for every 3.5 difference in settings.

You can use this as a temporary patch to access icons you cannot access normally anymore. But it's only a patch. For instance, if the bottom strip of your screen is dead, you'd set Touch to 0, if the top strip of the screen is dead, you would set it to 7 or higher.

But the fact is once part of your screen stops working, its dead and it has to be replaced. There is no software fix.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

dirrtydude (2008-12-01)

Thanks for the comments.

In response to the negative-number sensitivities comment: I'm not sure. Perhaps there is a hack that is different from the one that I used that enabled negative sensitivities. I enabled a hack that added a sensitivity slider to the iPhone's General Settings screen. All the way down to the left said "0". There is a screen-shot on the link that dale1v posted that exactly shows what my screen looked like. (With the slider at 0, all the way to the left.)

In regards to re-locating the touch, this is also different from the setting that I was using. Moving the aforementioned slider did not change where the phone thought I was touching, but moving it higher into positive territory did lead to me having to physically touch harder on the screen to get it to respond. It really did seem to be affecting the touch-sensitivity. I'm not disputing that what you mentioned exists, because I don't know. I'm only reporting what happened on my phone, using the hack/work-around that I tried.

For the record, I used the exact hack that was linked by dale1v - so if there is any confusion of which hack I used, check that link out.

In the end, I just bought a 3G - because I found no viable work-around.

Thanks

For the record, sensitivity measures pressure applied to a surface in order to gauge input. This is not how the iPhone digitizer works. The digitizer uses IR (Infra-red) to measure "blotches" caused by an object (usually your finger) pressing the surface. And then the digitizer calculates the center of that "blotch" as the point at which you wished to press the screen. It has nothing to do with sensitivity, although your brain may be convincing you it does in your case.

And as I stated, yes there is no viable work-around, once part of the digitizer dies, it must be replaced.

PS: You probably still don't believe, so here's a very simple test, use your fingernail or a pen, and press as hard as you want.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-08-19 at 02:25 PM.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.