Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help with categories

Default help with categories
    i was playing with categories and i accidently screwed up the categories. and i cannot access any of the categories. the category app is in one of the categories and now i cant open it. coincidentally, installer is also in one of the categories that i cannot open. so i cant open categories app, installer app, and now i dont know what to do. im stuck! do i just restart everything all over again?

If you know How to SSH into your phone then that is going to be your best bet. I would start by SSHing in and then moving all applications out of the Categories folder into the main app folder and then deleting the Categories folder you made. Let me know if that doesn't help. Of course you know to save backups of all files onto your hard drive before you go deleting stuff just in case it doesn't work so you can put everything back into it's place and try something else.
    "Count your blessings. Make your blessings count!"

Is that an iPhone in your pocket?

iPhone? More like MyPhone calebdexter's Avatar
    Thanks

what were you doing with categories before it started to crash?...mine is also inside a category but experienced no problems at all...

sr20, ill try that tonight.

caleb, i added blank apps into my apps folder. and i was trying out the vista maximus thing that came out. and everything worked fine, but when i open a category, i would have to hid the app names because if i let it show, then you would see random blankapp2, blankapp4 letters around the place. so i renamed my apps to some other name. and then i saw folders in the /application with the name of my categories folder, so i deleted them, because i thought the category folders were suppose to be in the var/mobile/library/categories directory. and i found out it messed up the thing so i SSH the folders i deleted back in because i made back ups. then now im stuck and i cant access anything. i hope this isnt confusing to me, because i sure am confused.

ill get back to you guys asap and see what else i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by sr20_00 View Post
    I would start by SSHing in and then moving all applications out of the Categories folder into the main app folder
    how do i do that? i tried going to the var/mobile/library/categories/(my category) and i found the list.text and i opened it and deleted the app, but that didnt help.
    Last edited by dragnandy; 2008-07-25 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

No you need to be going to the Applications folder which should be in /var/Applications then into your specific category name. For example: If you named a category "Thisismycategory" then you would have a folder in your applications folder named "Thisismycategory". Go into that folder. In that folder there should be a folder for every application you ahve in there such as Calculator.app/Bosstool.app and so on. Take the folder for whatever application you want out and drop it into the /Applications directory instead of in the "Thisismycategory" folder.

If this doesn't help explain to me a little more in detail what you have done and I will try to help further. Such as: What is the name of the category/folder that you ahve placed categories in? What is the name of the category that installer is in? What do they do when you try to open them?

If nothing else you can also try completely deleting the categories.app completely out of your /Applications directory and rebooting the iPhone and see if that doesn't help you out. before completely deleting anything though please save a copy on your HDD so that you can replace it if something messes up.

thanks, i tried your suggestion, but no go. i think im just going to reboot my iphone. nothing much was on there, so itll take an hour or two to get it back to normal, and ill just sync my music overnight. ill back up my stuf of course. i really appreciate your help and suggestions to fix my problem, thanks.
    Last edited by dragnandy; 2008-07-25 at 07:23 PM.

No problem. I wish that I couldhave helped further. With a little perseverance it is possible. If you don't have much to lose or set up though then go for it. A reformat doesn't hurt sometimes.