Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore iPhone does NOT wipe all files

Exclamation Restore iPhone does NOT wipe all files
    My iPhone died on me when I was on vacation in December. On my return I was forced to restore my iPhone to get it to work again. I then re-Jailbreaked the phone. Now when I browse the Preferences folder via SSH there are still preference files for applications that I had installed prior to the crash that I have not installed since the restore and their date is set to a date in november before the restore.

Is this to be expected??

Did u do the DFU mode to restore? try it . It will wipe out all the old folders and app.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

Did u do the DFU mode to restore? try it . It will wipe out all the old folders and app.
    i have not heard if this is true but i have also not heard it is untrue.

what i know is that a sync backs up preference files because they are used to restore your phone to its previous status

instead of just back up the specific apple folders, i believe it backs up the entire /var/root/Library folder because apple assumes nobody will have put anything in their thats not "apple approved"

well you know what assuming does....... you can try DFU mode but seeing as the actual restore of your preferences doesnt occur until after the REAL restore has taken place, i dont see it doing any good

jus delete em yourself if you're really worried about apple seeing it...i havent heard any reports of people being blacklisted or anything for it, i dont think apple even looks...just double checks the IMEI
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

what i know is that a sync backs up preference files because they are used to restore your phone to its previous status
    Good job. You nailed it. The restore *does* wipe the entire phone entirely. Nothing is left. The iTunes sync does restore most of the /var/root/Library dir's settings even 3rd party apps. So that's what happened. He restored, then recovered the backup after the restore.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    Good job. You nailed it. The restore *does* wipe the entire phone entirely. Nothing is left.
    Incorrect
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

SO what is correct then?

I have had the same thing with files surviving/resyncing after a restore and wish to have them removed.

Once you restore the original program is gone but the settings remain with no way of removing them - in my case 'Make it mine' carrier changer and 'Extended/Advanced preferences'.

Can any one assist as to how these can be wiped clean?

Is it something to do with itunes saying that an iphone has been synced previously do you wish to restore the original? WHat would happen if one was to select new iphone? Can you just sync normally?
    Last edited by dane.pablecheque; 2008-01-22 at 07:32 PM.

iPhone 8gb
    1.0.2 OTB> 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.1.3
    Unlocked with Ziphone 2.3
    Operating in New Zealand

basically what i do is before i restore i sync all my contacts and stuff to google mail and then once ive restored i set up as a new phone, then all you do is resync with google and VUALA we have back all the info i need or want

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    Good job. You nailed it. The restore *does* wipe the entire phone entirely. Nothing is left. The iTunes sync does restore most of the /var/root/Library dir's settings even 3rd party apps. So that's what happened. He restored, then recovered the backup after the restore.
    That is incorrect.. DFU restore does not clear the crash logs on the phone.. I had a jailbreaked 3G, and DFU Restored with 3.0 and set up as a new phone.. pulled up the crash logs in Xcode and sure enough _Cydia had 6 or seven entries in the last few months...
    -Eric

-White iPhone 3GS 32GB. (For SALE)
    -15" MacBook Pro. Aluminum.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.Catalyst View Post
    That is incorrect.. DFU restore does not clear the crash logs on the phone.. I had a jailbreaked 3G, and DFU Restored with 3.0 and set up as a new phone.. pulled up the crash logs in Xcode and sure enough _Cydia had 6 or seven entries in the last few months...
    Right. I just did this this morning before bringing my phone to the Apple Store. I forgot to remove the numeric battery, and I was so afraid the girl helping me would accidentally tap the battery and expose my previously jailbroken phone.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.