Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does the GPS in Iphone 3G require 3G data?

Default Does the GPS in Iphone 3G require 3G data?
    Would like to know about this, so without 3G data plan (assuming it's possible), the GPS will not work?

In addition, let's say when TomTom release the GPS software, does it require 3G as well?

yes you need 3g

No you do not, So if what you are saying is true then the gps would only work in areas w/ 3g coverage and that not true. I am not a genius on this sort of stuff but im almost positive they are wrong, because the 3g iphone comes w/ built in GPS

Thanks

It would be more accurate to say yes you need Data. If your phone can't access 3G it will simply drop to EDGE, if it can't access EDGE, it will drop to GPRS. If it can't access any of these, you won't be able to use GPS.

Also to be more accurate. GPS is free, the maps you need to download to see where you are on the GPS must use 3G/EDGE, and uses Data which is not free. TOMTOM does not cost anything (unless you want traffic reports) because the Maps are built into the device, which means there's nothing to download. If TOMTOM comes out for iPhone, we can only hope theirs will also contain the maps on the device (which is about 1.2GB in size for North America).
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

If TOMTOM comes out for iPhone
    So they haven't confirmed yet? and no ETA as of when it will be release?

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    So they haven't confirmed yet? and no ETA as of when it will be release?
    They said they have successfully ported it but they have not said when release is. They also stated that they dont see a problem with the SDK rules with no live navigation. So it looks like we can expect it in the near future.
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)

Thanks

GPS: TeleNav Confirms iPhone In-Car Navigation App

looks like tomtom fail.

i've tried using google maps a tad, but with slower connections the maps just dont load fast enough. i can only see it working if maps are loaded on the phone, just like the nokias etc. that do the same.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    GPS: TeleNav Confirms iPhone In-Car Navigation App

looks like tomtom fail.

i've tried using google maps a tad, but with slower connections the maps just dont load fast enough. i can only see it working if maps are loaded on the phone, just like the nokias etc. that do the same.
    I'd prefer a brand name like tomtom though. Telenav has no speech to text feature(unless you actually call this 1800 number and then they beam the address to your phone) Also I believe the SDK states that applications just need to be no larger than 2gb(?, not absolutely positive about this) so loading the maps on the phone shouldnt be an issue
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)

any navigation software that doesn't require 3G is a plus!!

Thanks

Somebody needs to save the day...because I'm tired of following a purple line on a blank tan background. It's real good if you don't move at all during the whole day. All though i can say it's pretty accurate.

I doubt it, unless a gps module is included no way is any navigation software going to be accurate enough to provide turn by turn with cell tower triangulation

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It would be more accurate to say yes you need Data. If your phone can't access 3G it will simply drop to EDGE, if it can't access EDGE, it will drop to GPRS. If it can't access any of these, you won't be able to use GPS.

Also to be more accurate. GPS is free, the maps you need to download to see where you are on the GPS must use 3G/EDGE, and uses Data which is not free. TOMTOM does not cost anything (unless you want traffic reports) because the Maps are built into the device, which means there's nothing to download. If TOMTOM comes out for iPhone, we can only hope theirs will also contain the maps on the device (which is about 1.2GB in size for North America).
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    I doubt it, unless a gps module is included no way is any navigation software going to be accurate enough to provide turn by turn with cell tower triangulation

I thought the Iphone 3G has the GPS chip in there no?

btw what's the difference between 1st gen iphone and 3g iphone then? other than 3G data?
    Last edited by powa; 2008-07-24 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i would think the 3g will give you more accurate data... i know this is not related but it would be cool if the map would rotate so you don't have to figure out the orientation of the roads when your looking at the map... I did notice if you point the top of the phone north then the map is in the correct orientation...

also im not sure that the 3G has a GPS chip either cuz on the 1st gen w/1.1.4 you can drop a pin on your exact location... well maybe not exact but within the block. And so i've heard too if you upgrade the 1st gen w/2.0 then you will have real GPS
    Last edited by 808mp5; 2008-07-24 at 03:32 AM.

No, the 1st Gen GPS is made by using Celluar tower and locate the location. It does not considered as GPS at all.

When Apple stated iphone 3G has GPS capability, i assume they have the GPS chip/device in there. Though i heard the iphone 3G uses A-GPS, so it uses both GPS and 3G for accuracy.

Just my 2 cents, please do correct me if im wrong.

Thanks

Actually cell tower triangulation is quite inaccurate, while GPS is down to the meter (3 feet for you Americans ) I don't see how mingling the two would add to accuracy.

btw what's the difference between 1st gen iphone and 3g iphone then? other than 3G data?
    ahh sorry i got confused. I though you were referring to the 1st gen iPhone(the no 3G thing threw me off) no it would have to be tailored to only the 3G iPhone.

Thanks

3G and GPS. And a pretty new back cover. That's all she wrote.

ok thx for the reply. Cuz i might have access to the new iphone 3G, and im thinking if i should continue using my existing iPhone and sell the 3G, or i should keep the old iphone as a back up and use the iphone 3G =)

Thanks

Without the data plan, you would have a blue dot on a gray screen because google maps downloads the data. Im not saying anything new. But you could use Wi-fi to download the google map data but then there would be no point in using the GPS because you couldn't leave the radius of the Wi-fi.

that actually means alot. Because in the near future when TomTom or other 3rd party company makes map and install into the iphone, it will be a GPS device.