Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3g Tethering help!

Default Iphone 3g Tethering help!
    I've tried multiple times every steps on the guide but it just doesn't work
    Everytime I create a network under my macbook pro and join it using my iphone I don't get the "wifi signal bars" it just keeps showing 3g logo, but i can still get the ip address. Is there something else I should try to fix this?

btw: i've tried resetting my networks config on my iphone and the "forget network" and doesen't seem to help much

thanks!
    Last edited by zerobrand; 2008-07-23 at 02:21 PM.

zerobrand, you shouldn't get the wifi bars on your iphone since it is an ad-hoc network. The concept is that you are using wifi to establish a connection between your iphone and your laptop so you can use the 3g network.

Setup your manual static ip's and proxy and you should be good to go. You are on the right track.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Yeah like I said I did every steps carrefully and still cannot get internet connection, I was looking at another guide;

cre.ations.net - Blog entry: How to tether your iPhone 3G and browse the web using your 3G connection

and its exactly the same steps, but if you look at Step 6:

Step 6: Open Safari on the iPhone and open a web page
    This step is important. The page will take a while to load. When Safari realizes it can't get to the Internet using the ad-hoc Wifi, it will do some internal magic to switch back to 3G for Internet while still on your ad-hoc network. That lets the proxy do its thing.
    ---------------------------------------------------

And like i said could that be my problem? cause when i join on my iphone the network i created on my macbook I don't see the wifi's signal bars, it just keeps showing 3g and when i go back to safari on my iphone it just loads any website just fine. Is there something else i might have forget to change in my network's setting of my macbook/airport?

Thanks

when you was changing settings in firefox, the bit where u change port, look below and u will see socks v5 & socks v4 change it. If on v4 change to v5 or vice versa. That's what I did and it worked. I got that from another post.