Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to the forums, and have a few questions.

Default New to the forums, and have a few questions.
    First of all I'd like to say thank you for this awesome site! I've learned a TON about iPhone modding while trolling for a month now, but I have a few questions that searching didn't quite answer.

I recently bought my friend a 3g iPhone 16gb, in exchange for his almost new 2g iPhone 16gb 1.1.4 fw. Of course, it's on backorder, so I'll have to wait a few days before I get to work on it, but I wanted to get a few things straight first.

When I get his iPhone, should I master reset to clear the device before running iLiberty to unlock/jailbreak it? Or should I do a restore back to the 1.1.4 firmware? Also, am I required to have an ATT sim card to do the modding? If so, I have an ATT sim, but it's long deactivated.....will this be a problem? I'm planning on unlocking and running on T-Mobile, if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance for any responses.....and I apologize for being such a n00b.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

i would restore with itunes to 1.1.4 jail break and unlock with ur active t-mobil sim in phone and then you should be all set to go
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to screamforme02 For This Useful Post:

Gilla (2008-07-23)

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Another question.....am I making the right decision by using iLiberty versus ZiPhone? After reading some articles, I've come to understand that iLiberty is the safer of the two apps, but I can't help but notice all the ZiPhone users here.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've used both with no problems on a few different iPhones but, from what i've been reading, iLiberty IS safer.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the quick responses!

I'm a bit curious about the 2.0 firmware, though. I've read that once the device is unlocked, it can be upgraded to 2.0 fw and then jailbroken, and the unlock will remain....is this correct?

Would you suggest doing an activate/unlock in iLiberty, then upgrading to 2.0 fw, and jailbreaking using WinPwn? Or should I simply stick to the 1.1.4 firmware for now, untill an unlock is released for the 2.0 fw?

Sorry to double post, but I keep finding discrepancies in information. Some people say that once the device is unlocked, upgrading firmware will not break the unlock....while others say that upgrading to 2.0 fw will undo the unlock. I just want to find out which is which, before I go and upgrade to 2.0, and get stuck without the ability to make/receive calls.
    Last edited by Gilla; 2008-07-27 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost