Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Other" File Removal

Default "Other" File Removal
    Windows Vista
    iPhone firmware 2.0

I've got a bit of an annoying issue, was curious to see if anyone knows of a solution.

A while back, before I knew of Ziphone, I used a method to jailbreak my phone that involved copying a version of the firmware (can't remember if it was new or old) to the device first. I can't remember which version, unfortunately, but I do remember that the firmware file was somewhere in the realm of 180 megs.

Since then, I've had a ~200 meg "Other" section in my file usage.

The other night I used a method (Nuclear Elephant: iPhone Wipe) to attempt to wipe my phone, give me a fresh start for upgrading to the 2.0 firmware. I didn't do the full restore though, since I wanted to keep my contacts. Afterward the Other section was still there, so either the wipe didn't go through correctly, or it is something that was backed up and gets recopied to the phone. Either is a possibility.

So rather than go through it all again, I thought I'd see if anyone is familiar with the breaking method I'd used (with my admittedly vague details) or had an idea where I might find the file that I suspect is the culprit.

Any help would be really appreciated.

You could try and SSH into it and browse through the directories, looking for a file that could match that size. It's an option.