Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can someone please help me??

Default Can someone please help me??
    I posted a thread yesterday and nobody has replied yet so im posting this to remind anyone that could help me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by mad102190 View Post
    This was a while back but i never got aroung to asking for help. I installed the simpsons itheme a while back and then decided to uninstall it. If i remember correctly, i used this special version of iswitcher that is no longer out but when i uninstalled the itheme, some of my icon labels were gone, and some others were changed. For example, my itunes store is called MobileStore and my sms changed to 'sms' instead of 'Text' and YouTube is now "youtube". some icons are not capitalized anymore while some are. and some are completely missing, such as installer, customize, safari, phone, and mail. I have tried different themes and all the basic things, im not stupid; but im not a genius either. im not too familiar with ssh and all that but if someone knows how i could fix this WITHOUT RESTORING MY PHONE, PLEASE PLEASE feel free to help. i have always kept my icon labels hidden after this because missing icon labels made my phone look retarded and i want my labels back so could some one help please.

SCREENSHOT BELOW.

Thanks in advance.

I've had this problem too when I had Summerboard and iSwitcher. Could not find any way to reverse it, so I restored. You could try re-installing iSwitching and trying something from there or maybe uninstalling Summerboard and reinstalling it, I don't know, I didn't try that last time. Keep us updated.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IvanB For This Useful Post:

mad102190 (2008-01-08)

nope, i reinstalled anything that has to do with appearance and its still the same, weird.

i dont remember which file it is in....(ill look this afternoon when i get time to hunt around - unless someone beats me to posting it)

But its in a .plist file i believe, either DisplayOrder.plist or the plist that hold you visible icons.

Use WinSCP (or mac equivalent) and find these in the file, and add the names back in (see other examples within that file for the correct structure...)

ill try help more later

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tavillo's Avatar
    Thanks

this is just a recommendation... when u wanna install something first search a thread or a forum about the app u wanna install to give u an idea if theres problems or something...
    thats always i do, n i didnt install iswitcher cuz theres tu many problems with this... thats what i know... but...
    i know im not helping u, this is just a comment...
    If i help u n some way give me a tnks!!
    Theres no other, all i can say is MMi Rocks!!

1.1.1 iPhone 8GB/Nokia 6131(when im out of country)/Samsungt519(just for emergency)
    PS3 60GB/XBox 360 Elite 120GB/Wii
    iBook n VAIO Laptops

Get the file: "system\library\coreservices\springboard.app\engli sh.lproj\LocalizedApplicationNames.strings"
    Search the entries you wanna change...
    ex:
    < key >com.apple.youtube< / key>
    < string >Videos< / string>

take it off the phone onto your comp then change the .strings to .plist then use this site http://seto.gni.ch/xmlconvert/ to convert it to xml, go file save as (change bin2xml.php to LocalizedApplicationNames.strings) then open it in wordpad to edit it.

Make your changes then put it back into "system\library\coreservices\springboard.app\engli sh.lproj\"

(extra credits to psybert & Jasper44)
    Last edited by jtanner; 2008-01-08 at 09:08 PM.

Smile ok, now what???
    i did what you said and when i opened the file in wordpad, this is what i got

bplist00 

!"#$%&'()*+,-./012345678_com.apple.mobilephone_com.apple.yout ube_com.apple.mobilecal_com.apple.MobileSMS_ com.thespicychicken.customize_com.apple.mobilema il_ com.apple.mobileslideshow-Camera_com.apple.mobilenotes_com.apple.mobilei pod_com.apple.stocks_com.apple.weather_com.a pple.DemoApp_com.googlecode.iSwitcher_com.appl e.mobile.radio_com.apple.widget.phonebook_com. apple.mobiletimer_ com.nullriver.iphone.SummerBoard^com.apple.Maps_ com.apple.Preferences_ com.apple.mobileslideshow-Photos_com.apple.MobileAddressBook_com.apple.m obilesafari_com.apple.mobileipod-Movie_com.apple.unitconverter_com.apptapp.Inst aller_com.apple.purple.KeyboardDemo_com.apple. calculator_
    com.apple.widget.translationUPhoneWYouTubeXCalenda rTTextYCustomizeTMailVCameraUNotesTiPodVStocksWWea therTDemoYiSwitcherURadioXBusinessUClockSSMBTMapsX SettingsVPhotosXContactsVSafariVVideosY
    ConverterYInstallerXKeyboardZCalculatorZTranslator

What do i do now to get the names to show up correctly?

LOL, read my post again. On ur computer You need to use the XML converter site to make it legible. Hit the site, click browse, locate ur file, click send. When the page appears, click file save and save it as the same name as localized... You havens done this other wise it would be readable. What u pasted is still in binary format.

it was legible before i used that website, once i clicked send this is what it gave me...

oooooh, sorry lol

in that case then the file has already been converted to xml and modified before!!!

the website converts from binary (bplist) to xml and vice versa basically so my apologies for that.... re-get the file from your phone and paste or attach it here....

Ive attached mine so you can compare

Use wordpad to open
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Ok
    Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    oooooh, sorry lol

in that case then the file has already been converted to xml and modified before!!!

the website converts from binary (bplist) to xml and vice versa basically so my apologies for that.... re-get the file from your phone and paste or attach it here....

Ive attached mine so you can compare

Use wordpad to open

ok this is mine.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.MobileAddressBook</key>
    <string>Contacts</string>
    <key>com.apple.Maps</key>
    <string>Maps</string>
    <key>com.apple.MobileStore</key>
    <string>iTunes</string>
    <key>com.apple.MobileSMS</key>
    <string>Text</string>
    <key>com.apple.Preferences</key>
    <string>Settings</string>
    <key>com.apple.calculator</key>
    <string>Calculator</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobile.radio</key>
    <string>Radio</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobilecal</key>
    <string>Calendar</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobileipod</key>
    <string>iPod</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobileipod-Movie</key>
    <string>Videos</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobilemail</key>
    <string>Mail</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobilenotes</key>
    <string>Notes</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobilephone</key>
    <string>Phone</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobilesafari</key>
    <string>Safari</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobileslideshow-Camera</key>
    <string>Camera</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobileslideshow-Photos</key>
    <string>Photos</string>
    <key>com.apple.mobiletimer</key>
    <string>Clock</string>
    <key>com.apple.purple.KeyboardDemo</key>
    <string>Keyboard</string>
    <key>com.apple.stocks</key>
    <string>Stocks</string>
    <key>com.apple.unitconverter</key>
    <string>Converter</string>
    <key>com.apple.weather</key>
    <string>Weather</string>
    <key>com.apple.widget.phonebook</key>
    <string>Business</string>
    <key>com.apple.widget.translation</key>
    <string>Translator</string>
    <key>com.apple.youtube</key>
    <string>YouTube</string>
    <key>com.apple.DemoApp</key>
    <string>Demo</string>
    <key>com.nullriver.iphone.SummerBoard</key>
    <string>SMB</string>
    <key>com.thespicychicken.customize</key>
    <string>Customize</string>
    <key>com.googlecode.iSwitcher</key>
    <string>iSwitcher</string>
    <key>com.apptapp.Installer</key>
    <string>Installer</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

it looks pretty much the same, but now my iphone just has a 'Mobile" in front of almost everything. None are missing, but there's "MobileSafari" "MobileTimer" etc..