Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Save the apps! ...to a folder.

Default Save the apps! ...to a folder.
    How can I download apps other than using installer. I see installer will use it's own folder as a source. I want to download all my favorite apps and store them on my computer then if I need to wipe out my iphone and recover I can just drag my favs to the installer folder then install at will? Is there a repository of apps stored somewhere? I have tried putting a source in to my browser but it takes me to the teams home page instead. Any help?

iPhone? More like MyPhone GHOSTYAIRO's Avatar
    Thanks

ssh

that's so cool how don't actually answer a question you more like make a statement that says, How I'm inferior with little knowledge of all things. It's like you were passing by with your head down dressed in black and you overheard my stupid question just as you approached then right as you passed in front of me I heard it. At first I'm not sure if it was meant for me or not but as I stand there watching you fade back in to the crowd I begin remembering why I even asked the question. They come together... I can SSH into my iphone and pull files off of it, that's a great idea! but wait. which files, like SSH for example. I have no idea where thats even stored. If only someone with the knowledge and social skills required to preform dialogue and answer questions using their own life experiences to help others would pass by hearing my feeble voice in the dark calling out, "teach me" i say "teach me".
    For now however I will sit on this corner everyday and pray the stranger passes this way again in hopes of catching something else, anything, maybe just a whisper and then, after a few years, maybe I too can gain some of his life mastery.
    Ride on, stranger... Ride on...

Thanks

ssh into the phone. All of your apps are in /Applications. Then back up the apps you like and put them back in the folder whenever.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distearth View Post
    that's so cool how don't actually answer a question you more like make a statement that says, How I'm inferior with little knowledge of all things. It's like you were passing by with your head down dressed in black and you overheard my stupid question just as you approached then right as you passed in front of me I heard it. At first I'm not sure if it was meant for me or not but as I stand there watching you fade back in to the crowd I begin remembering why I even asked the question. They come together... I can SSH into my iphone and pull files off of it, that's a great idea! but wait. which files, like SSH for example. I have no idea where thats even stored. If only someone with the knowledge and social skills required to preform dialogue and answer questions using their own life experiences to help others would pass by hearing my feeble voice in the dark calling out, "teach me" i say "teach me".
    For now however I will sit on this corner everyday and pray the stranger passes this way again in hopes of catching something else, anything, maybe just a whisper and then, after a few years, maybe I too can gain some of his life mastery.
    Ride on, stranger... Ride on...
    Sorry dude my bad. I was replaying your post with my iPhone, i was going to write "ssh your phone like this:..." but when I wrote just ssh, I pressed submit by mistake, then i was editing again the post and i ran out battery so I had to wait to get home to complete the post.

Well... after apologize here is the complete answer:

ok, here is what you have to do:

1. Download SSH software to browse your iphone.
    A) WinSCP For Windows
    B) Fugu or CyberDuck For Mac (personally I prefer CyberDuck)

2. Download OpenSSH to your iPhone through Installer.app under System Category (you'll also need BSDSubsystem). Reboot your phone after install.

3. In your iPhone Open Settings/Wi-Fi/Tap the arrow in your network and remember the IP Address.
    4. In your computer open the ssh browser and open a new connection, write down your iPhone's IP Address, entry root in the user field and alpine in the password field. (you'll be prompted for the password later if you are using fugu) [if this is the first time you SSH you phone, it's gonna take a few seconds maybe 40 o 50 to connect. sometimes you fail the first time, so try again].
    5. Browse the applications folder, you may see just two folders at the beginning, Library and Media, you need to up levels until you get a folder named Applications.
    6. Inside Applications there're all you apps folders, you have to download the complete folder, i.e. BossTool.app if you are in WinSCP just drag that folder into the other screenside, into your preferred folder, fugu is the same, with CyberDuck left click and click Download, the app is going to be in the Downloads folder,or just Download as and choose the folder you want.
    7. There are a few applications that need something else, not just the app folder, like moleskine which has the skins stored in the Mobile folder.
    8. Just play around and grab the folders under Mobile/Library and Mobile/Media that contains the name of your backed up Applications.

If you need more help or have any question just ask.
    αGoD HaS THe⌃oF My LiFe aND i DoN'T WaNNa⎋*Ⓘ♡Ⓜⓨⓘⓗⓞⓝⓔ

So, what is the installer folder for. What I want is to be able to drop everything back in there and install, things like, ssh, tinyproxy, ect. These things are not in the apps folder and I think they must be "installed" in order to do what they do. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Just install those when you jailbreak
    To live, you have to lie

Christ Almighty! Let's say I'm in the Sahara and I don't have a cell signal. I have my laptop (solar powered) and my iphone. I decide to run restore and then run iJailbreak on it. Now, I have a Jailbroken iPhone but I want to have ssh on it so I can browse my var folder or something. I can get to my installer folder via phoneview so from there I could drop packages in like OpenSSH but I don't know how to get the files that Installer is looking for to drop them into the installer folder.
    Is this that insane to want to be able to install things to my iphone without connecting to the internet?

Thanks

The installer folder has just the .plists that is the information installer uses to know waht you have installed in your iPhone, and the sources you have, so yo cannot find anything you can use there.
    Christ Almighty! Let's say I'm in the Sahara and I don't have a cell signal. I have my laptop (solar powered) and my iphone.
    iF you are there you cannot SSH your iPhone, you'll need a router to create a Wireless network, and the is not solar powered routers.

Stuff like BSDSubsystem, OpenSSH, SkrewCommon, JiggyRuntime, ETC you have to install it with the Installer unless you have a little more knowledge, if you do, open the LocalPackages.plist and navigate trough the numbers you'll see when you find the one that has the information inside, use the siblings' strings to know what is created, copied while OpenSSH is installed, then go and copy the files and the Daemon to your folder, But again I dont think that is useful because how you can go and put the files again into your Phone??? I don't know how to SSH your phone to install SSH if you don't have SSH?

So my best advice is use Installer, if you are in the Sahara you'll have to search the nearest Wifi Oasis
    Last edited by GHOSTYAIRO; 2008-07-19 at 11:18 PM.
    αGoD HaS THe⌃oF My LiFe aND i DoN'T WaNNa⎋*Ⓘ♡Ⓜⓨⓘⓗⓞⓝⓔ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GHOSTYAIRO For This Useful Post:

distearth (2008-07-20)