Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can i get iPhone 3G?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How can i get iPhone 3G?
    How in the world could i get an iPhone 3G, I mean like without having to
    use there contract. I dont care about the 3G in it, just the GPS. From what ive read im still not clear on how some people are doing it. What ive read was,

Go to apple, buy the iPhone with regular contract, then wait 30 days pay the first bill, and the theres an ETF. Does this work? Or will AT&T make you pay for the entire price of the phone.

Please any suggestion im desperate
    www.jailbreakme.com

iPhone 4 - 4.0.1 (jailbroken & unlocked)
    iPad 3G - 3.2.1 (jailbroken)

Been jailbreaking / unlocking from the days where you had to access Settings through the Emergency Screen Ohh the good ol' days

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

you can just buy the phone outright for like 500 bucks i think.. im not sure about buying signing contract and then canceling, i kno it adds up to be cheaper for the phone but knowing apple and att you will prob have to pay for the rest of the phone as a cancelation fee.
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is all i could find http://hacktheiphoneitouch.blogspot....9-without.html
    but there must be an easier way

Howdy!
    My first post.
    So, I live in Brazil but I have a cousin in Salt Lake.
    How can she buy a 3g iPhone without a contract? Or with a contract and then cancel it. She's not a AT/T customer btw.
    Do u guys have ANY idea of the costs?
    Many thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Im going to make a few calls to AT&T and Apple today and ask them whats going on, will update you guys later, but keep in mind the unlock isnt even out yet.
    www.jailbreakme.com

Been jailbreaking / unlocking from the days where you had to access Settings through the Emergency Screen Ohh the good ol' days

Some guys in Brazil where able to almost fully unlock.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lQWH24hv4]YouTube - Primeiro iPhone 3G TOTALMENTE desbloqueado!!! Unlock[/ame]

And the GPS is also working....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRK2BqnrGM]YouTube - GPS FUNCIONANDO NO 3G[/ame]

Try some Google Translator on their website:
    DesbloqueioBr - Desbloqueio iPhone (11) 3171 1226 - iPhone 3G - Home

We have some skills too!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Okay, I just called my local apple store, the person i talked too told me that there is a 14 day return period, and IF you pay the ETF (Early Termination Fee) Then you can keep the phone with no other fees, just pay the phone+ ETF and maybe the first month of service! Ill keep calling other stores to confirm this.
    www.jailbreakme.com

And how much would it be this ETF?
    Pay for the first month of service is mandatory? Even if you tell them about your plans on not sticking with the carrier...

Thanks 4 the info so far.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dust Busta's Avatar
    Thanks

I thinks it's $175

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, ive read too that the ETF is $175, but... I called AT&T and the guy straight up asked me if I want to take it overseas, he even said that AT&T will charge a $600 dollar ETF... And my local apple store said that I could get it with contract, wait 30 days pay the ETF+first month+iPhone = I get to keep it... Everyones telling me different things, im really confused.
    www.jailbreakme.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just read this, its from the leaked AT&T memo.

To cancel service within the first 30 days, the customer must return their equipment to the place of purchase (no exceptions).
    If the customer cancels service after 30 days, they will be charged the ETF. The customer is not required to return the device to cancel after 30 days.

So im now assuming that if you buy the iphone, pay the ETF and first month of service the device is yours.

300+175+36+70= $581.00

Anyone willing to try?
    www.jailbreakme.com

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i tryed it today,they said if i decide to keep the iphone 3g ,"they will not cancel the service plan until after 30 days " .they also said the 30 day cancellation policy doesnt apply if you decide to keep the phone.
    right before you cancel your service contract ,att will transfer you to a specific team in customer relations department to deal with these kind of stuff ,and beware ,cause they are trained to take control of a conversation if they have the upper hand and try to find there way around the tos.

so answer is you can not cancel service before 30 days if you end up keeping the phone wether its damaged /sold/or just want to keep it ,the customer relations supervisor will make sure you'll wont have your ways if you want to cut service and keep the phone before 30 days.

after 30 days ,they will charge

$175.00 etf
    $36.00 activation
    $40.00 rate plan (line) ( if you have this rate)
    $30.00 data plan
    $12.00 prorated billing cycle
    =$293.00 + cost of 16gb iphone 3g including tax $328.00 =$621.00 total cost
    Last edited by mytran80; 2008-08-01 at 05:32 AM.

So, I belive it worth it.
    The price on eBay is running around $900 for the 16Gb.
    But either way, I'll wait a couple of weeks just to see where this ship goes...