Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Email Notification while Phone is Locked?

Default Email Notification while Phone is Locked?
    How can you get notifications like you do when you get text messages? What is happening is that the phone will be right in front of me or in my pocket and it won't let me know that I have recieved an email. Any way to fix that? Thanks in advance.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

it should make a noise atleast. and check how often the phone checks for emails. Also there is a neat lil package from installer that puts a little notification up by ur battery that lets u kno if you have any unread email txt, and lets u kno if u have alarms set for that day. its pretty neat
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks for the reply. But It's not working for me and everything is set up correctly. I'm not talking about texts, I'm talking about emails - you guys get notification when there is an email and your phone is in the locked position? And why doesnt this happen automatically - why do you have to wait for 15 minutes. This phone...I swear, all sizzle, no steak. Don't get me wrong - it's a cool toy, but i don't know how you can use this if it's remotely used for business.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

are you using the 3g or 1st gen iphone?

i had this problem too with the 3g that i would physically have to check to see if i had emails (im not paying $30 for text messages when i can email for free). check THIS THREAD to see if it helps you...

make sure your email is compatible with push and that should solve it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I THINK he's referring to the little notification box when you receive a text message... and no, there isn't such notification for emails. when set up correctly in Settings->Sound, you will get a sound notification when you receive an email, but that's it. No notification box. and unless you have MobileMe (on 2.0) or Yahoo (not sure how well yahoo push works), your mail will only check as often as 15 minutes. it works as fetch and not push

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

hey, i know what you mean. I push from exchange. when phone is locked, my iphone buzzes and pings. when an SMS comes in, you see the SMS message pop up on the screen. just have to wait for 2.0 to get jailbroken i guess.

Bingo - Yeah it just started to buzz and ping when I get an email - don't know why it wanted to work all of a sudden. I didn't even do anything. But anyways....Unfortunately I think I'm out on this phone. I have way too many things going on with emails, accounts, business stuff that makes this iPhone way to cumbersome. There are alot of things that just don't make sense and make it completely difficult to work with. I am kinda dissapointed with apple - and don't see how any corporate companies will be able to work with this phone. Back to the Crackberry.....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

when i switched from my Blackberry back in Nov, i must admit it was a very difficult transition as i was very big on using 3rd party apps on the bb. i almost switched back, but now i can't really see myself using anything other than the iphone. but just fyi that there is a learning curve. gotta give it a bit more than a week

I really wish I could - not in my line of work when I'm on the phone more than half the day and having to email stuff on the fly, cut and paste, text, respond, dial numbers, write paragraph or longer emails, and then sometime during the crazy day fit in time to recharge this sucker....it's not going to work, and I'm about to pull my hair out in the meantime.

Thanks

i agree with cut and paste. everything else however is the same or easier with the iPhone. I have used the BB 8700, 8800 and Curve.....If you want the battery to last longer, just use Edge. You would be used to it that anyways being a BB guy.

Thanks

The iphone was never marketed as a business phone anyway, so why you even tried to make it one i have no idea!
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    The iphone was never marketed as a business phone anyway, so why you even tried to make it one i have no idea!
    funny you would say that since Apple 'IS' trying to market the device as an Enterprise Solution.

Apple - iPhone - Enterprise

but thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    funny you would say that since Apple 'IS' trying to market the device as an Enterprise Solution.

Apple - iPhone - Enterprise

but thanks for sharing
    Exactly. There were 4 main things that I could not get past - granted there are actually more quirks, but these were the biggest faults. These are essential for business folks.

1. No Cut and Paste.
    2. Fowarding Emails meant I had to save each contact (or memorize their email) even if I was going to use their email ONCE.
    3. When calling contacts you had to go through at least a couple screens (depending on where you left it last), and then scroll, touch, then touch again to Call - No Short Cuts??
    4. NO Search Function on your email! Which IMO was the biggest disadvantage - So you mean I have to scroll down and search through 100 emails?

When Apple can address these somewhat simple tasks for any Smart Phone - then I'll come back.