Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Switching SIM cards

Default Switching SIM cards
    Like SO many others, I've cracked my screen. It's gotten so bad that I'm tired of putting tape over it every month to keep the small peices from falling out - and dirt from getting in.

I'm getting a "new" first gen iPhone from a friend (who just bought the 3g). All that needs to be done is switch the SIM card out right? What if something goes wrong with the uncracked phone I get? Everything should work and transfer to the new phone without any trouble?

Sorry, I did my searching, but there's about 500 pages... and all about "unlocking" etc... So don't lynch me!

TIA

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

if u have an iphone plan just activate with itunes jailbreak yadayada. If you donot have iphone plan you will just need to jailbreak and unlock with your sim in phone
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Both phones are AT&T.
    Both phones have never been jailbroken, unlocked, never touched.
    Both phones have been kept EXACTLY like they were when new (except updates).
    Both phones are 1st gen.

All I have to do is put my sim in his phone, and his phone will become mine... same number, contacts, etc.

Correct?
    Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

did you not read what i wrote. you put ur sim in activate it with itunes and than jailbreak away and it will become yours, you cant just drop your sim in and magicaly have it work.. you will also need to re sync every thing after the jailbreak.. READ MORE CAREFULLY good luck
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

What's Jailbreak? MasterXXXShake's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you read what he wrote? He isn't into the Jailbreak thing.

To PROPERLY answer the question..

You will end up wanting to do the sim swap near your iTunes. It will say unauthorized sim card. When you plug into iTunes for the first time it will make you go through the complete activation process again (Like when you got the first one) It will "seem" to renew your contract, but it doesn't. (I called and asked when I went through what you are doing).

I recommend you backup your existing phone first to make sure you keep your contacts and stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterXXXShake For This Useful Post:

HomieG35 (2008-07-19)

Default one question
    I'm actually about to do the same thing...cracked screen, boss just gave me his edge when he got the 3G. I called apple and the lady said the same thing...it looks like you are doing a new activation but it doesnt really do it. Apparently just turns the phone on. I think I'm going to do it Sunday because I have a busy weekend of poker parties and pool(swimming not billiards) and dont want to risk the non broken phone haha. Anyway, my question is:

will it be possible to take the sim out of the newly activated phone and put it back in the cracked one and that still work, or will I have to reactivate each phone every time i switch between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

You have to reactivate each phone unless they are unlocked.

i tried to put an iphone sim in an unlocked iphone and it didn't work but tmobile sim did work, is there anyway to make an unlocked iphone work on at&t iphone sim? just wondering
    if this post help click the thanks