Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery Drain Method?

Default Battery Drain Method?
    So I heard that when you have your iPhone you should drain the battery and then fully charge it so that the battery recognizes something thus having better battery life? I'm not too sure on how it works, but my friends tell me that's how it works on laptops and almost all electronics. Anyone have any input on this?

It does indeed work well for first time! I bought my iphone 3g let the battery drain and then fully charged it that night. The battery is still shitty on this iphone 3g... you should do this with all electronics.

yea, its like breaking it in, im not sure if it really works, but the word going around is, the first time u use your phone just let it drain all the way, watcha movie for a few hours or surf the internet for a few hours so its totally dead then charge it up all the way and the battery is supposed to have the best life it can have.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sdmojaydo619's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seejaygo View Post
    So I heard that when you have your iPhone you should drain the battery and then fully charge it so that the battery recognizes something thus having better battery life? I'm not too sure on how it works, but my friends tell me that's how it works on laptops and almost all electronics. Anyone have any input on this?
    I think it has to do with memory. Lithium ion battery's have a memory and when they arnt trained they wont hold as much of a charge as they should. You should definetly train your battery to get the most out of your iphone.
    Why can't people be more interrigent rike me? RICE!
    R.I.P - iPhone 2g, iPod classic 80GB

Damn, I guess I'm a little late then for my G1 iPhone. Guess I gotta do this if/when I get the 3G iPhone haha. Yeah, also gotta do this on other electronics then too.

Hmm i did some research into this before I got my first iphone and I read that the batteries that they use do not have "memory" effects that older batteries used to have, and that there is no harm in charging them a little here and there, and that in fact it is not good to let them discharge fully. I wouldn't follow any advice on here without checking it out yourself first - just my advice....

its not the battery with the memory, but the phones meter... If the phone thinks the battery is close to dead then it will show that you have 20% or 10% sooner than it should, but if you run it dead the meter will calibrate itself...

As in several other threads in this same forum it has been determined that the best thing to do is to discharge fully once or twice to calibrate your meter, then run the battery to 40-50% and recharge fully...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to texags08 For This Useful Post:

darius359 (2008-07-18)

Quote Originally Posted by texags08 View Post
    its not the battery with the memory, but the phones meter... If the phone thinks the battery is close to dead then it will show that you have 20% or 10% sooner than it should, but if you run it dead the meter will calibrate itself...

As in several other threads in this same forum it has been determined that the best thing to do is to discharge fully once or twice to calibrate your meter, then run the battery to 40-50% and recharge fully...
    This is only for the first time you actually charge it right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone beachboarder41's Avatar
    Thanks

You should fully drain your battery once every 30 days in order to calibrate it and make sure the battery bar is accurate, but besides that once every 30 days you shouldnt let it drain you should charge it alot or keep at around 40% in order to keep a long battery life in lithium ion batteries.
    Viva la iPhone - GET DOMINATED

Quote Originally Posted by beachboarder41 View Post
    You should fully drain your battery once every 30 days in order to calibrate it and make sure the battery bar is accurate, but besides that once every 30 days you shouldnt let it drain you should charge it alot or keep at around 40% in order to keep a long battery life in lithium ion batteries.
    Ok, so if it reaches at around 40%, I should start charging it and only once a month drain it out? I'm gonna have to start doing that, my battery is beginning to hit 20% around 10 hours with hardly any talk time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

my cousins battery died on his 1st gen iphone, due to poor charging

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremeiphone View Post
    my cousins battery died on his 1st gen iphone, due to poor charging
    That's basically what I'm afraid is gonna happen to my iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone beachboarder41's Avatar
    Thanks

so basically try not to get it past 40% and always charge it when you can.
    Viva la iPhone - GET DOMINATED

I guess I'll have to try my best then. Thank you guys.