View Poll Results: does it matter to you if the imei on the back of ur phone matches what the phone says

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 33.33%
  • no

3 50.00%
  • doesnt matter

1 16.67%

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: change imei

Default change imei
    im not asking how to do this, i just want to know if its possiable before i waste hours researching this online.

my iphone back metal plate is scratched all to hell... so imma go through ebay and buy a new one. considering that the back plates have the imei etched into it, is it possiable to change the imei on the iphone??

ive read theres ways of doin it with 1.1.2, and 1.1.3. if i was to do that on 1.1.2, then update to 1.1.4, or even 2.0 when it gets unlocked, would the imei get changed to the proper one, or stay to what i set it at??

it can be done but is HIGHLY illegal

i know its illegal like in europe and that area, but is it illegal in the states... even for a case like mine?? where the back panel is badly scratched, and i wanna just make the imei's match?? like, no loopholes or anything?? LOL

Thanks

Is this really a big deal for you? When was the last time you even looked at that text?
    To live, you have to lie

Well, in USA, I don't think it's illegal to change IMEI. However, if you plan to change IMEI, IT WILL JUST PATCH the CURRENT SOFTWARE (Like 1.1.4 or watever). Once you decide to upgrade to v2.0 or newer, the Original IMEI on the phone will Return or Restore. If I understand changing IMEI correctly, IT'S JUST A PATCHING PROCESS AND CANNOT REALLY REPLACE THE ORIGINAL IMEI because the Original IMEI is a OTP (One Time Program Area).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're wasting your time unless you decide to stick with the SAME FIRMWARE FOR LIFE. Which is not the case for iPhone. Maybe some other phones like Nokia or SE. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dtkool View Post
    Well, in USA, I don't think it's illegal to change IMEI. However, if you plan to change IMEI, IT WILL JUST PATCH the CURRENT SOFTWARE (Like 1.1.4 or watever). Once you decide to upgrade to v2.0 or newer, the Original IMEI on the phone will Return or Restore. If I understand changing IMEI correctly, IT'S JUST A PATCHING PROCESS AND CANNOT REALLY REPLACE THE ORIGINAL IMEI because the Original IMEI is a OTP (One Time Program Area).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're wasting your time unless you decide to stick with the SAME FIRMWARE FOR LIFE. Which is not the case for iPhone. Maybe some other phones like Nokia or SE. Good Luck!
    thank you.... thats the answer i was looking for...

@ redcard: im thinkin of selling my iphone at some point. and i might wanna be a jerk about it, and say that its the original iphone backing... LOL