Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Had my first 3g experience today

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Default Had my first 3g experience today
    Folks, I'm old, schooled, and have plenty of pricey toys, infact I have all of them . If you're going to listen to someone review a product...... now's a good time.

The line at my att store is gone.....and so are the phones. I just went to play with the demo's so that part didn't matter that they were sold out.

First impression........ it has the piss yellow screen...BLAH

Then I sit my 1G beside it and my 1G looks too blue in comparison......... damned if you do, damned if you don't. Right in the middle would be nice and since this phone on demo is new and doesn't have the software update I am lead to believe it might just look pretty good if SOME of the yellow is removed in the firmware update. I suspect I'll like the 3g screen with the firmware update. It doesn't need to be as blue as the 1g, but not as yellow as the out of the box 3g. Middle ground........ The trick to a good hue is not to look like you have any at all.

I clear the cache, cookies and history from both my phone and the 3g phone, close the browser, restart safari and go to google.

First I load the simplest website I can think of that anyone could load in a matter of 3 seconds. Then I load a harder website with gifs and rotating banners.

In every complicated website I went to the results were the same with the two phones side by side. The 1G phone progress bar shot out and went 3/4 way MUCH faster than the 3g. It found the page and started loading the tables quicker than the 3g did. About halfway through the loading of the pages the 3g came around the 1G finished first. The images that held the 1g from finishing first were the large gifs and rotating banners.

On the more simple websites without big or complicated banners the 1G phone tied or beat the 3g phone consistently. Usually beating it.

The 3g will help you load the complicated sites quicker, but under normal circumstances loading simple sites that are optimized properly it's not a huge difference.

Ergonomically the new phone does feel better in the hand, but also feels very plastically and cheap. The 1G is definitely a more solid phone. I should say a more SERIOUS phone. The 3g is like a plastic toy and the 1g is like a metal weapon. It's a more serious phone to hold in your hand.

Overall I'm not convinced the 3g is good enough to justify the higher rate plan. I have a base rate plan and my cost would increase $25-30 to get the 3g iphone on the new base rate plan.

When I was there using the phone I didn't even think "hey I am using 2.0 firmware". It took me about 3 hours to finally realize I had been messing around with 2.0. This might be a good indicator to people debating whether or not they want to go to 2.0 or stay at 1.1.3 or 1.1.4. I used the phone for a good 15 minutes, walked out, and left the store.... drove home...... sat down......... and 3 hours later realized "Oh I forgot to look at the calculator, I was using 2.0 firmware"

.................that pretty much sums up my impression of 2.0. I was using it and didn't even know it. I never even thought about it while I was there playing around.

So that's about it. I think the screen will be fine with a firmware update that is released. I think the 3g can be useful on complicated web pages, but overall not massively impressive. I think the 2.0 firmware is less than overwhelming. I think the phone feels better in the hand, but also feels like a fake plastic toy compared to the 1G. I think the new rate plans are pricey and I'm not sure the performance justifies the increased rate. There's SOME performance enhancements, but it's not one of those things I'm going to notice every time I pick it up.

The phone is worth $199, the rate plan might be worth it's money if you really get your use out of it all day every day.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

ajrulez (2008-07-16), dale1v (2008-07-16), jm12345 (2008-07-16), jobo821 (2008-07-16), Poseidon79 (2008-07-15), unlockme (2008-07-17), Zwayne (2008-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

So even with data transfer speeds reported 3x faster it still loads web pages at similar speeds?... I'll have to do the same comparison before I shell how the extra $$ for it. Thanks for the review!

Thanks

Next time I go to the ATT store I'm going to try and remember to bring my camera to record video in a real world test. A lot of vids popping up here and there have been spoofed by running some phones on wifi and doctoring the vids. (people have been caught).

The 3g WILL finish the page first if it is a high bandwidth page. It does load big stuff better where the edge draws it out forever. However on average websites the edge loaded the majority of the page quicker then slowed when the banners started to hit and the 3g polished the banners off and finished first. So overall......... I can't justify the extra expense in the plan at this moment. I'd go from $55 a month to $80 after taxes.

EDIT: I usually hit the stop loading X on web pages as the banners start hitting since the rest of the forum is loaded so to clarify the 3g would not be faster for me. The edge actually would load the table as fast if not faster. On two of the 5 websites I tested the edge BEAT the 3g to loading the tables before the banners hit.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-07-16 at 12:15 AM.

This is the post I was looking for and I didn't even have to search that long

I went to the AT&T store today so I will just add to the original post. When I first picked up the unit you could immediately tell it was much more comfortable in the hand because of the curvature. Even typing with both hands you could still tell the difference so that was a positive. As I picked it up and messed around with it you could feel it was lighter because of the plastic, but it did feel a little "cheaper" (however I heard they used plastic for better reception strength with the 3g, which I do not know if it's true or not). My main purpose there was to compare the Safari speed, which as mentioned earlier was huge. Both seem to move at the same speed, I did notice the basic websites without a loads of pictures loaded around the same speed. However, when I loaded ESPN.com I did see a difference, but nothing crazy. Yes I will admit the 3G did beat the 2G a few times, but I just didn't see spending the money on the upgrade.

So the conclusion? For ME it was not worth it, I like my 2G and am very surprised (I usually love have the newest phones). I always do change my mind though, so I may get it down the road, but for now I am content.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jm12345 For This Useful Post:

one1 (2008-07-16)

something to think about. not sure if its the same where you are, but where i live, the actual 3G signal is not available in my area and will not me until the end of the year. So basically i am going to see the same speeds with the new iphone until then.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grbgemen For This Useful Post:

one1 (2008-07-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jm12345 View Post
    My main purpose there was to compare the Safari speed, which as mentioned earlier was huge. Both seem to move at the same speed,
    You have a typo "for me wasN'T huge".

Glad to see you paid attention to it as much as I did. People get caught up in the new item craze and accept anything you put in their hands. The bottom line is the new 3G phone just doesn't justify an upgrade...... especially to us that have over $400 in their 1G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There's more to it than loading web pages. The real test would be YouTube and many of the streaming video apps now available. I have to think 3g makes them usable now, while on EDGE its a waste of time.

Thanks

As stated earlier, larger files are going to be an advantage on 3G. I dunno about you, but I haven't touched my youtube button since about a week after I bought my phone. There's no joy watching a video on a 4 inch screen when you have a MacBook right beside you.

"realistically" the 3g isn't going to make a huge impact in your life. Most people surf the net, throw some emails out, do some texting.

Not with most of the people in this forum. Most of the people on this forum do a lot more than surf the series of tubes and email.

How often do you use simplify or orb? And what about when some serious multiplayer games come out?

The 3g is just as incomplete as the 1g when it came out.
    Wait until the real apps show up
    Last edited by GodzillaAteMyiPhone; 2008-07-16 at 05:07 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Yeah and what about tomtom(or any other turn by turn nav for that matter)? I am not spending a ton of money to get one on my car. Id much rather just upgrade to 3G, get a new phone,faster internet and actually save money rather than get a real GPS

I think this is a 2 way topic. Really no need to state the pros and cons of the new iPhone as they differ depending on the user. For some people, the 3G is probably worthy of an upgrade almost immediately. For others (like me and one1) the upgrade just isn't satisfied yet with the price changes we will have to endure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaAteMyiPhone View Post
    Not with most of the people in this forum. Most of the people on this forum do a lot more than surf the series of tubes and email.

How often do you use simplify or orb? And what about when some serious multiplayer games come out?

The 3g is just as incomplete as the 1g when it came out.
    Wait until the real apps show up
    "Serious" games for a phone? LLLLOOOOOLLL.

I have a PSP that will play any nintendo game on the planet without having to turn the sound off to keep it from being one constant glitch fest. The iPhone can't even emulate a simple 1st gen nintendo game.... "serious games"?

There will never be any "Serious" anything for the iphone. It's running an ARM processor from a PDA that was around 5 years ago. Oh and if you DO find a "Serious" game for the iphone, better wrap a bag of ice around your hands and plug your phone in to the charger.

That would be reason number 3 why there will never be anything "serious" for the iphone. yeah it's cute that it'll surf the web and access you tube and play a little pool game, but nobody on the planet is going to use anything that'll kill their battery in an hour and warm their phone to 130 degrees.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-07-16 at 05:34 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

gavko (2008-07-16)

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    "Serious" games for a phone? LLLLOOOOOLLL.

I have a PSP that will play any nintendo game on the planet without having to turn the sound off to keep it from being one constant glitch fest. The iPhone can't even emulate a simple 1st gen nintendo game.... "serious games"?

There will never be any "Serious" anything for the iphone. It's running an ARM processor from a PDA that was around 5 years ago. Oh and if you DO find a "Serious" game for the iphone, better wrap a bag of ice around your hands and plug your phone in to the charger.

That would be reason number 3 why there will never be anything "serious" for the iphone. yeah it's cute that it'll surf the web and access you tube and play a little pool game, but nobody on the planet is going to use anything that'll kill their battery in an hour and warm their phone to 130 degrees.
    very true, even thou i wish it wasnt

I have been in telecom industry for 5-6 years now, primarily focusing on data communication, and I must say what OP claims is pretty accurate - 3G is not always faster than 2G\2.5G. If you were to try your 3G connection at say 2 AM or 4 AM, you will definitely get faster speeds, much faster relative to your day-time speeds.

Data communication speed over 3G has a very linear, but inverse relationship with the number of users on the network. Well, I guess that's true for all data networks but 3G is probably more sensitive to load on the network. From my personal experience, 3G over CDMA(EvDO\WCDMA) is a lot faster than 3G over GSM (UMTS\HSDPA). This is where Sprint (Samsung) Instinct hold a slight edge over Apple iPhone 3G since it is a EvDO handset.

Also, using 3G data for a long duration of time on a handheld device is actually not very good for your handset. Try running 3G for 30 mins and see how hot you phone gets. I think this could be the reason Apple decided to do away way metallic phone body. End users will notice this "warming up" of iPhone 3G relatively less in a plastic body compared to that in a metallic body. This is just my assumption\thought - I am no Steve Jobs
    Last edited by ajrulez; 2008-07-16 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blakehansen24 View Post
    I think this is a 2 way topic. Really no need to state the pros and cons of the new iPhone as they differ depending on the user. For some people, the 3G is probably worthy of an upgrade almost immediately. For others (like me and one1) the upgrade just isn't satisfied yet with the price changes we will have to endure.
    Your absolutely right, for ME it wasn't enough to upgrade, but to others it was. Even look at it like this, my friend on Verizon wanted to get into an iPhone ever since it came out (talking 2G) and he just could not afford it. Even though in the long haul with the pricing difference in the plans it may work on, at the time he couldn't purchase a $425 phone. He can purchase a $199 + tax phone and pay the rest over the time. So for him it was, he even said before they released the prices if the phone was going to be another $400 phone he wouldn't be able to get it.

One1, yes you were right I was just pumped I found someone who already posted about it, hahaha

enjoyed the read. thanks!

Regardless of all 3g vs 2g networks ,yellow screens,phone getting a little warm and battery life is low and a variety of picky comments in regards to apples new iphone. This phone is indeed more functional and easy to use than any other pda phone on the market..Hands down! Before the iphone , i was a crackberry lover,not a chance now.

Thanks

More functional and easy to use I would not say for any iphone. Once you understand it and how to manipulate it, it becomes easy for YOU, but the average person can operate a blackberry unlike the application maintenance on the iPhone. I'd love to see a 40-something housewife pick up her new iphone and try to figure out a jailbreak and permissions.

LOOL @ jailbreak and permissions