Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Earphone jack on Iphone 2g not working

Default Earphone jack on Iphone 2g not working
    Idk if its just the headphones I'm using (I doubt it), but the ear phone jack doesnt work. I have to force it the male end of the jack into the iphone for it to even connect, and then, it just doesn't stay, and comes back out and starts playing over the speakers again, not through the headphones.

I tried blowing into the hole, but that didn't seem to help, and I don't think my iPhone is under warranty anymore. Any ideas or anything? One of the main reasons I got this phone was for the iPod built into it, and if I can't use it, then that's kinda dumb.

The woman at the local retail store told me to take it to the Apple store at our mall, and have them look at it.

Should I un-jailbreak it and restore back to normal, I'm not sure if we can get into trouble for this or not.

This sounds like the headphones you have won't work with the iPhone 2g recessed head phone jack. Especially since the connection doesn't seem to hold or never gets made and the headphone jack falls out on it's own.

The 2g iPhone has a 'special' recessed jack, and most headphones won't work with it, unless purposely built to fit into the 2g iPhone, or they must be used with a special adapter.

Ah, ok, yeah its kinda down in the port. So Im going to be forced to go buy the $20 ear phones from a At&t store?

Quote Originally Posted by rubyswn View Post
    So Im going to be forced to go buy the $20 ear phones from a At&t store?
    Not necessarily.

You can buy the original Apple ones. There's also an equivalent (albeit better sounding) option from a company called V-Moda (called the vibe duo).

I've seen iPhone compatible earphones from WalMart, electronics stores, and obviously the Apple Store. eBay also. Many options, just be sure that they say 'iPhone compatible', which means they have should have the skinny 'special' male stereo plug.

Or, you can buy an adapter to use the ones you have. eBay works well for this also.

(NOTE: This is about to get really confusing now that the 3g iPhone will accept any standard mini stereo plug, and manufacturers of such headphones/earphones are probably already reworking their packaging).
    Last edited by hartphoto; 2008-07-16 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

FYI: The factory iPhone headphones are the best sounding set for the money.

Yeah, the person I bought this iPhone from didn't have the original pair.

But, like it needs to be a certain position for both sides to work, (I got bored, I went to the At&t store, and bought iPhone headphones).

What does that mean? It was earphones made JUST for the iPhone, so does this mean my audio jack is jacked up or something?

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    FYI: The factory iPhone headphones are the best sounding set for the money.
    The Apple ones are good for the $. Too big for me though (small ears). And, I like in ear canal phone types, not ear buds. I found a Sennheiser CX300 (knock off) from eBay that I really like, and has the mic/button capability. About $15 delivered. Don't get me started on headphone audio gear (says the man looking at a tube based class a headphone amp, separate d/a converter, and AKG701s sitting on my computer desk just to listen to my iTunes collection from my MBP when I'm not using out my iPhone!)... Another favorite site of mine is head-fi.org.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyswn View Post
    What does that mean? It was earphones made JUST for the iPhone, so does this mean my audio jack is jacked up or something?
    Nothing is jacked up. The iPhone uses a 3.5mm 4 connector plug (Left/Right/Ground/Mic), and it has to have that skinny sleeve for the connector. That is what makes it so 'special'. It does work (meaning the L/R/G connections) with a 3 connector 3.5mm stereo plug, if the plug has the small 'neck' to fit into the iPhone. The connections match between the two, but it's the 4th connection that adds the mic capability (and helps make the button work for controlling the iPod/call functions).

Well, I noticed it had a mic on it, and that it had a button on it. But what does it mean that I have to have the cord facing a certain way for both sides to work? Should I try cleaning it out, or blowing some air duster in it?

Any ideas? Also, how much would a thing to connect my iPhone to my car's AUX input? It doesn't have to be an Apple product, even a knock-off is fine.

I just really want to get this earphone jack problem fixed.

an aux cable from your phone to your car will cost hardly anything. ebay is the best place.

FYI i had to get my iphone repaired under warranty beacause the earphone jack went dodgey on me

an aux cable from your phone to your car will cost hardly anything. ebay is the best place.

FYI i had to get my iphone repaired under warranty beacause the earphone jack went dodgey on me
    Ah, ok thanks. The woman from 1800myapple, proceeded to tell me the $80 dock from walmart was a good price.

Well, under the "legal" section in my Settings>General>About>Legal, says that it was revised on "11-12-07". Do you think my phone is still under warrenty? It's a 8gb.

I really don't want to have to deal with it, or pay the exuberant amount to fix my phone. Any self-fixes for it? Like to take apart the iPhone and fix it myself? And can you order another part for the earphone jack off eBay or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

FYI- iPhones have been messed up using non iphone products (like old ipod adapters). Use anything.... especially cheap adapters, with extreme caution. I've found apple has designed this in a way that people who cheap out pay the ultimate price.