Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking for info for G2 iphone

Default Looking for info for G2 iphone
    I am getting a new 3G Iphone. I want to give my wife my old 1st gen iphone. She doesn't need a data plan but she would like the phone. She already has a phone with AT&T. At&T won't let her have the iphone without the data. Can I take the simm card from her current phone, put it into the iphone and have it work or do I need to do something else to it? If I do, what and how?

I'd imagine if you jailbreak and unlock it and pop the sim in it will work without data. You'll have to remove the edge settings of course.

try it

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

The sim care will or should work.
    If not then just unlock it and it will for sure.

Your SIM card will not work in a new 3g from what I have read though

The original iPhone SIM works in the 3G, using mine now... I think that when you activate it through iTunes it loggs your phone number and consequently your SIM number as well... The only way to change this is to reactivate i would assume, and then ATT would know that you are using iPhone on her line and make you get the data plan...

Although, even if you do get it unlocked and put her SIM into the old one, ATT would still know that she is using the iPhone and could make you add the Data anyway...

Thanks

jailbreak/unlock it.

if you have upgraded to 2.0, wait for the dev team to release the jailbreak/unlock for the new 2.0 firmware.

if not, use iPwn for mac or iLiberty for windows.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Wait a minute ATT will make you take a DATA plan against your will if they see the iPhone being used?

They cant do that...
    They cant make you take services that you dont want.
    No matter what phone you use: iPhone, Palm, whatever its a smartphone.
    I am not challenging you, but WOW if this is true.
    i am on T-Mobile and they aren't making me do anything that I don't want.
    Now if I decided to not take a DATA plan and I used data then well $$$$.

i dont thing they will force you to take the data plan, but there are many different scenarios that come into play here... I had the original and never messed with jailbreak, but i assume that it will let you configure your own GPRS settings... In this case you could sign up for say the cheap data plan and change the settings of the phone to use that server... If they found you doing this they can in fact change your data plan to the higher of the two (fine print of your contract)...

As far as Tmobile goes, i know they have been charging accounts that they know have iphones for the pda data plan, not the 5.99 t-zones... They can refuse to add a plan based on the phone that is most frequently used... They have info that tells them when you put your SIM into what phone... They can never force you to take a data plan, but they can refuse to give you a specific one, so you would either have to pay for use or pay for the higher plan, or in the case of t-mobile you cannot even do pay per use data...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by texags08 View Post
    i dont thing they will force you to take the data plan, but there are many different scenarios that come into play here... I had the original and never messed with jailbreak, but i assume that it will let you configure your own GPRS settings... In this case you could sign up for say the cheap data plan and change the settings of the phone to use that server... If they found you doing this they can in fact change your data plan to the higher of the two (fine print of your contract)...

As far as Tmobile goes, i know they have been charging accounts that they know have iphones for the pda data plan, not the 5.99 t-zones... They can refuse to add a plan based on the phone that is most frequently used... They have info that tells them when you put your SIM into what phone... They can never force you to take a data plan, but they can refuse to give you a specific one, so you would either have to pay for use or pay for the higher plan, or in the case of t-mobile you cannot even do pay per use data...
    ok this thread started with: At&T won't let her have the iphone without the data."

That is what I was addressing.
    As for what you were saying, yes once you put a sim card into a phone it then uploads the ESN or IMEI to the companiews system.
    This then will appear when a company rep pulls up the account.
    If you hack your way into the TZones and exceed the data amount then a flag goes up.
    They will address this if there is a history that shows repeaded high data volume.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Wait a minute ATT will make you take a DATA plan against your will if they see the iPhone being used?

They cant do that...
    They cant make you take services that you dont want.
    No matter what phone you use: iPhone, Palm, whatever its a smartphone.
    I am not challenging you, but WOW if this is true.
    i am on T-Mobile and they aren't making me do anything that I don't want.
    Now if I decided to not take a DATA plan and I used data then well $$$$.
    Unfortunately yes, AT&T REQUIRES you have the iPhone data package with the iPhone. There is a number of processes that run in the background that you don't see that requires data. Some people have been able to use the MediaNet, but there is a huge work around with that. I know Verizon will not allow you to activate a Blackberry without a Blackberry plan. So in conclusion, yes providers can make you take a certain plan with a phone.

In regards to the questions asked, I have heard people Jailbreaking them and using changing the IMEI however I do not know if they did not have a data plan. I would search it on the forums and PM them to see. Good luck.

I read yesterday that with firmware 2.0 I should be able to just take the simm card from my wife's existing phone, put it in my iphone, sconnect it to itunes and it will reactivate. Is this true?