Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G battery SUCKS!!!

Default iPhone 3G battery SUCKS!!!
    I had the original iPhone for a year. I had an 8gb, then 16gb until I got my 3G iPhone this past weekend.
    After using this thing for 3 days, I can honestly say that the battery life on the 3g iPhone is abysmal.
    I cannot take my iPhone into work with me, so I leave it in the car with:

-3G disabled
    -WiFi disabled
    -Bluetooth disabled

I unplugged my iPhone 3g from the charger this morning at 7:15 AM with a full battery.
    I listened to some music during the 10 minute drive to work, and left it in the car for the day.
    When I got out to my car at 5:00 PM, I enabled Bluetooth for the drive, and glanced at the battery. I was in shock. My battery was more than half empty (or less than half full for you optimists out there). Check out the attached picture for the incriminating screenshot.

Now, imagine if I had made a few phone calls, listened to some music, watched a video, and GOD FORBID, browsed the web on the 3G network. Needless to say, my phone would've been dead mighty quick.
    I'm very disappointed in Apple's failure to include a capable battery in the iPhone I can only hope that some 3rd party battery company develops an iPhone-ready, high capacity battery for us DIY folks.

Who else is suffering from some battery blues?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0001-1-.png  

iPhone? More like MyPhone beachboarder41's Avatar
    Thanks

Im experiencing the exact same thing and i believe if we drain it all the way through then charge it, it will help increase the battery life. Its a new battery, we have to break it in.
    Viva la iPhone - GET DOMINATED

Quote Originally Posted by beachboarder41 View Post
    Im experiencing the exact same thing and i believe if we drain it all the way through then charge it, it will help increase the battery life. Its a new battery, we have to break it in.
    That shouldn't be too hard. I'll just go surf the web for 20 minutes, that should kill the battery!

But seriously, that is true that batteries should be drained when first used, but I haven't done anything different with this iPhone than I did with the two EDGE phones I had, and it's dramatically worse.

Here's to hoping

Thanks

Ya, i decided im gonna kill my battery by using my GPS to accurately get directions to the next Apple store i'll be attending to get this all fixed.

Or possibly just turn my brightness up.

There's a good chance that your iPhone will die before you ever get there...

Thanks

lmao very true.

Thanks

Apple has actually stated on their website (knowledge base) this no longer applies to their new batteries. They said to more you charge your phone, the better your battery like will be.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Are you saying that it would be more helpful to keep it charging in my computer as opposed to charging it from 10%?

I'm a little confused

So here is my battery power after the shown usage...

This did however include about 1 1/2 hours of listening to internet radio, and wathcing almost a full episode of LOST...

I know it seems low, but from the same poit (rougly) of battery last night, i was able to watch a full episode of LOST, and do about 45 min of 3G browsing before i got the 20% warning...

I think that it will take a little time to condition the battery and the battery meter on the phone... It seems like certain areas of the meter last longer than others, kind of like your gas tank...

Anyway, ill prob post more pics for the next few days on usage times and what they were comprised of so that everyone can get an idea of what they can actually do, not just a straight drain on one thing...

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that i am in an office building and my 3G is very limited... I am right on the edge of the coverage, and the phone switches from 3G to 2.5G on a constant basis...
    Last edited by texags08; 2008-07-15 at 08:05 PM.

I didn't use my phone at all this morning before work. It's been sitting in my car since 8am with 3G, Bluetooth, and WiFi disabled. I'll snap a screenshot when I get out to the car this afternoon.

Are you saying that it would be more helpful to keep it charging in my computer as opposed to charging it from 10%?
    Here's some info on Li-Ion technology that may help:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

And for entirely too much info, read:

Part One - Basics every battery user should know

and

Part Two - Getting the most from your batteries

since you say you are right on the edge ...it sounds like it is struggling to find good coverage, and that is what is causing it to be low. There is nothing to drain the battery other than that if it is sitting in standby all day. Do you get good reception?

Here's mine:

It seems that around 3 hours of any usage does it in for the battery. I haven't charged my phone for a while as you can see. I have 3g and bluetooth on.

If you're leaving it your car, heat does play a role in draining the battery. Where do you live?

Looks like i will be taking my charger to work with me now... I guess with me wearing it down like this it will only last about a year...

Either way, here is the usage that i got from the full cycle...

Hope that helps to get an idea...

It looks like this is just the way the iPhone 3G is... Everybody seems to be acknowledging it, but it looks like it could be worse (with other smart phones)

iPhone 3G's Battery Life is not as good as the original iPhone, but better than other 3G Smart Phones
    iPhone 3G's Battery Life is not as good as the original iPhone, but better than other 3G Smart Phones - iPhone Hacks

Quote Originally Posted by oo3 View Post
    Here's mine:

It seems that around 3 hours of any usage does it in for the battery. I haven't charged my phone for a while as you can see. I have 3g and bluetooth on.

If you're leaving it your car, heat does play a role in draining the battery. Where do you live?
    Yes, heat does play into battery life, although I live in Northern VA and it has only been around 80* during the day this week...

I did let my phone run down from a full charge two days ago, and since then my battery meter has shown a much better charge in the afternoon.

Most likely what happens with the new phones is that the battery gauge/meter hasn't fully calibrated yet to what a full charge is vs. an empty battery, so you may have the 20% battery warning when, in fact, you still have 35% battery left. The phone won't REALLY know what empty is until you let it die completely.
    Last edited by ARCHA1C; 2008-07-16 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yes but 20% life remaning can only last so long... the iphone 3g battery sucks. period. i think we all know that at this point. i wouldnt have minded 2 or 3 more mm's for some better battery life. im leaving to canada tonight and thinking about taking my 1st gen or otherwise forced to take my laptop to keep the charge of my phone on the 2 planes im going on. other than that...LOVIN the new iphone its amazing, period. mr mat, 2 cents
    iPhone 4GB 1.1.4 Jailbroken w/ZiPhone Game machine!!
    iPhone 3G 8GB 2.0 w/POS battery-my new baby

Default Im so pissed of
    ok i am so pissed offff this is so ridicolous... i barely talk on the PHOEN and its DEAD.. i have a question for u guys.. When it says 3 Hr 55 Min usage.. does it mean.. EVERTYHING i did.. including song and video and map and talkinG? or only talking?? please explain that to me.. BUT YAH APPLE is CHESSING me with this batteryy life.. with my old iphoen i use to go to work 1 hour subway ride listen to my ipod make pure phone calls then come back home another hour subway ride listening to music and still wouldnt get the 20% battery remaining.. Did anyone contact apple regarding this>> if the battery have to break through or somthing.. BECASUE in the WWDC they said the Battery life on this 3g is WAY BETTER im so Pissed off.. THE MAIN thing on a phone is the battery .. if the battery is sh *t thenn there is no point cause u cant use the phone.. anyways heere is my usage screenshot.. PEACE GUYSS sorry for going crazy.. im just pissed off.. im not 100% satisfied with this product.. EVEN The ebay app and loopt and few movie, boxoffice APPS dont even work in canada.. THIS SUCKS IM SO PISSED OFF.. apple better fix thisss problemm.. Or else i dont know what ill do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -battery.jpg  

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone consider (if they did, I didn't read it) that the reason they didn't solder the batteries into the 3Gs was because of this very issue? I have a feeling that upgrades may become available.

I would guess that's the reason they are doing it. I would buy one real quick if it became available.

So, i just realized that i forgot to turn down the brightness of the screen after turning it way up to compare the yellow tint after the update.... This will hopefully save me tons of battery... It seems that if you have the auto adjust on it deviates the brightness from what you have it set to, instead of having a preset brightness for different lighting conditions... So with the brightness slightly below 50% i have noticed it changing more on its own... I will post an update of the life i get after today...
    Last edited by texags08; 2008-07-17 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
    Anyone consider (if they did, I didn't read it) that the reason they didn't solder the batteries into the 3Gs was because of this very issue? I have a feeling that upgrades may become available.
    I'm also expecting higher capacity batteries to be made available pretty soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast