Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wifi password issues

Default wifi password issues
    Im having issues with the popup that asks me to type in my PW for my home network. I type in the correct PW and it comes back incorrect but when I do it manually and connect through the settings tab it will connect ... but won't stay connected. Any thoughts? Search proved useless.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Are you typing in a password or the wi-fi encryption key? The thing says password, but it's actually asking for the key.
    Phil Nolan
    Modeler / Animator
    High 5 Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Are you typing in a password or the wi-fi encryption key? The thing says password, but it's actually asking for the key.
    Not sure about that... I use the same password to connect my computers to the router. I also am able to connect manually through the settings tab but when the pop-up appears and I enter the PW it doesn't connect.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If it's asking for a password then you have a WEP key set up which will be (most likely) 64 bit or 128 bit encryption. 64 bit is a 10 character string of numbers and letters, 128 is a 26 character string. You'll be able to find out what it is by going into the router by typing it's address into your browser, usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and checking the wireless settings.

I'm no expert on this, I've just figure out what I need to know as I went along.

Some more reading on it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
    Last edited by Philbert; 2008-07-14 at 03:29 PM.
    Phil Nolan
    Modeler / Animator
    High 5 Productions

if its wep then the numbers and letters are from A-f and 0-8
    might help

I guess what has me confused is this-

If i go

SETTINGS-->WI-FI-->CHOOSE A NETWORK--> Then I select my home network and enter the PW and I can connect

It will not stay connected OR reconnect automatically. *** this is if i put the phone into sleep mode

I will then get the incorrect wi-fi password popup and enter the same thing that I used to connect before and it will say incorrect password. Who knows.. mabey its trying to jump to another router and I need to ignore it (I doubt this is the case).
    Last edited by groundedsst; 2008-07-14 at 07:19 PM. Reason: detail added

Thanks

I've had this happen quite frequently to me as well. it seems to happen when I am in a weak wifi signal area of my home. Sometimes it will connect when i input the wifi key and other times it will tell me it cannot connect. I have not yet found a soloution other than to move to a an area with a better signal or shut off wifi and use edge in that area of my home. Sometimes I just click cancel on the message and the wifi will still connect when it gets a better signal. Very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I've had this happen quite frequently to me as well. it seems to happen when I am in a weak wifi signal area of my home. Sometimes it will connect when i input the wifi key and other times it will tell me it cannot connect. I have not yet found a soloution other than to move to a an area with a better signal or shut off wifi and use edge in that area of my home. Sometimes I just click cancel on the message and the wifi will still connect when it gets a better signal. Very odd.
    Isn't it the most ANNOYING thing ever?

I will be dialing a phone number and the stupid thing will pop up like 80x.

bump for hope
    Last edited by groundedsst; 2008-07-15 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I find the most annoying thing is how safari will just hang in limbo when the iphone transitions to and from Edge. I often have to close Safari and re open to get the page to continue loading. I thought this transition was supposed to be more automatic. Oh well, mostly I know when that will happen and can work around it but its a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by groundedsst View Post
    Im having issues with the popup that asks me to type in my PW for my home network. I type in the correct PW and it comes back incorrect but when I do it manually and connect through the settings tab it will connect ... but won't stay connected. Any thoughts? Search proved useless.
    I'm having the exact same issue with my workplace enterprise WEP. I can connect when I use the settings menu, but it just doesn't stick. Hopefully today's 2.0.2 firmware release might make a difference.

I think I found what cause the problem of can't save the Wifi password on 2.0 FW or above, it is the problem of BossPrefs new method to shutdown the Edge service.

So the way to fix that problem have to go to BossPrefs and turn ON the "Edge" first, then go to "Config" and turn OFF "New Edge Toggle". After that go back and turn ON "Edge" again (it will take some times to turn on the edge with the old method). Now the iPhone should be able to save the Wifi password and automatic reconnect again.

I had an issue with wifi much like this, it would just not connect after connecting once, it would show the tick as if it was connecting and then go through that cycle until it showed an odd IP address and didn't connect it would show 169.254.220.?? this apparently means it cannot connect to a DHCP server. In my router (Belkin) there was a setting regarding 'Lease' I had this set to 'forever', I changed it to 1 hour and now I connect every time. Not sure why that should help, as it is just reassigning and IP every hour and not reserving it forever, maybe a fluke not sure. Would be interested to see if that works for anyone else.

WOOHOO! Thank you! That worked for me too! I was getting so annoyed!

I had the same trouble with connecting to my home network. I went to my WIFI setting(192.168.0.1) and went under Wireless Set-up and added the Iphone's Mac Address to the Wireless Access Card List. I then went the normal route of clicking my detected network and entered the key when prompted for a password and it worked perfect.