Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP - "iTunes cannot read the content of the iPhone"

Default HELP - "iTunes cannot read the content of the iPhone"
    i have an unlocked iphone running on 1.1.1. I connected it to my pc yesterday and iTunes displayed the error "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone", and i am being told to restore my iPhone. I have backed up my contacts in preperation for loss of all my data but itunes gives me an error message whenever i try and restore. All my music has also disappeared from my phone. I think i need to revriginize my iphone but i have really no idea how to do this at all. Can someone please tell me what i need to do, and if i do need to revirginize?

Quote Originally Posted by Whelan View Post
    i have an unlocked iphone running on 1.1.1. I connected it to my pc yesterday and iTunes displayed the error "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone", and i am being told to restore my iPhone. I have backed up my contacts in preperation for loss of all my data but itunes gives me an error message whenever i try and restore. All my music has also disappeared from my phone. I think i need to revriginize my iphone but i have really no idea how to do this at all. Can someone please tell me what i need to do, and if i do need to revirginize?
    You should be able to restore the phone to 1.11. Try putting it into DFU mode (holding power and home button then release) boot using ibrickr then go from there. But it sounds like you're gonna have to start over. The backups created by itunes will have no efect. Good luck!

Default manually manage media huh? nice bug!
    Hello All

I just ran into an annoying iTunes 7.6 behavior with my 1.1.1 jailbroken phone...

I thought I'd have a look at the new "manually manage media" feature for my phone and checked the "manually manage music and videos" box and unchecked the "sync only checked songs and videos box"...looked around...thought "hey that's neat"...unchecked the "manually manage..." box and re-checked the "sync only..." box...

Now iTunes 7.6 pops up the dreaded "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone...Go the the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings." box. Not only that but all the iPod content (music and videos) on my phone is gone.

Funny though, when I use the SwapTunes app to flip between the media I sync with my work and home computers and it's on the secondary media sync, iTunes can recognize my phone just fine and my iPod content is still there.

When I look at my Media sub-directories using WinSCP, I can still see all music and videos in the iTune_Control sub-directory even though its not visible in the iPod app.

So what could be the issue? Is it just a control file that's corrupted? Up to now I've had pretty good luck navigating away from issues but this gotcha is a little annoying. The RESTORE button path doesn't sound very inviting.

I have WinSCP and terminal access to the phone.

Any ideas for minor surgery to restore visibility of my primary music and video database in the iPod app?

Cheers!
    Last edited by docmaxwell; 2008-01-18 at 04:40 AM.

i have the same problem after putin a check inside the bos manualy manage..now it says
    "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone"asking me to restore my phone..is there any way i can mmanualy uncheck that boc manualy manage my music i even tried reformat my whole computer..no luck i tried completly uninstaled 7.6 itunes install older version but it says its not available to install coz newer version is now available...plz hackerzzzz help.. dnt wanna go back to d drawin board..nways my phone is unlocked and jailbroken firmware 1.1.1