Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How i turn Off iTunes iPhone Backup?

Default How i turn Off iTunes iPhone Backup?
    This is getting very hard with it. As you already know itunes makes a backup of the iphone at the end of the synchronization for every time you sync it.

Now with all the Applications From the App Store the iphone backup takes very long. because it copy all the preferences / app / saved games / etc/ etc etc

is there a way a hack or please somebody start giving up a trick to avoid the itunes backing up you iphone unless you want it?

if you cancel the sync (at the backup stage) it will replace the last backup?

In the iTunes preferences, the last tab is called "Syncing". There is a checkbox to disable automatic syncing. Try that.

That won't do it, when you start synching, it will give you a message on top about what itunes is doing (eg, backing up iphone, synching calendars, etc). Whe n it says backing up iphone, just hit the "x" and it will stop and synch the rest of the phone.

Thanks

i hate that too . it took me 15 min. last time.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yeah any insight into making this stop would be great. i'm leaving work and plugged the phone in to throw a couple new tunes on for the train ride home. now i'm going to miss the train because of this hideous backup nonsense...

thanks in advance (regardless of the outcome)

Thanks

On the Summary tab....Options, Will unchecking automatically sync work?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can cancel the backup without canceling the whole sync. Just hit the "x" at the right of the display in the top of iTunes. Then it will continue with the rest of the sync.
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!

Quote Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
    That won't do it, when you start synching, it will give you a message on top about what itunes is doing (eg, backing up iphone, synching calendars, etc). Whe n it says backing up iphone, just hit the "x" and it will stop and synch the rest of the phone.
    Do people read the responses?

I just put up a blog post on this topic, check it out:

Disable iTunes iPhone backup

I figured out a way to disable it in the iTunes preferences with the "strings" command.

Default iPhone Backup Switch for Windows
    I have written a small Windows program called "iPhone Backup Switch". The program will allow you to enable and disable the iPhone backup feature in iTunes. I have tested it pretty well in Windows XP and VISTA. There is a backup feature that will backup the iTunes configuration and let you restore a previous version, if something goes wrong. Comes complete with installer and uninstaller.

Download it here.

Spread the word please!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dnederlof For This Useful Post:

dyno0690 (2010-06-01), MadTurki (2010-02-25), rotaryheadrx7 (2008-08-25)

This software worked awesome for me. I tried other tricks posted in other forums and couldn't get it working. I was worried (obviously) downloading a home made program off a forum but it totally worked out for me and the file was clean. So, thanks man! I'll definitely spread the word!

Quote Originally Posted by dnederlof View Post
    I have written a small Windows program called "iPhone Backup Switch". The program will allow you to enable and disable the iPhone backup feature in iTunes. I have tested it pretty well in Windows XP and VISTA. There is a backup feature that will backup the iTunes configuration and let you restore a previous version, if something goes wrong. Comes complete with installer and uninstaller.

Download it here.

Spread the word please!