Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone notice - Greater Heat Generation with 2.0?

Default Anyone notice - Greater Heat Generation with 2.0?
    Couple of days now I have noticed my First generation iPhone with 2.0 Firmware installed has greater heat generation. During Games and videos. I am not even sure I could watch a Movie without overheating the phone.

Also getting hot during iTunes Syncing. Noticed iTunes iPhone Back-up also taking longer.

Hows the heat on the 3G?

Looking forward to update 2.1 perhaps heat issues will be looked at.

Whats your experiences?

Chris

Update - 14th July

I have heard recently there are many reasons for Heat Generation and battery life. First the processor clock speed up on first Gens and new 3G for faster performance to deal with Games etc. Battery life is better if you go to settings and turn off Push and Fetch to your email accounts. Also, if and App opens and then crashes back to the springboard the App, may still be running in the background. Press and hold the home button for 8 seconds or so to close and open apps in the backround you cannot see running helps solve this problem.
    Last edited by chriscoyne; 2008-07-14 at 04:59 PM. Reason: update

Does anyone know if maybe they've raised the clock speed of the CPU? I thought I remembered reading that the iPhone is actually underclocked be default... I guess it's possible that they've raised the CPU clock speed to compensate for some of the additional workload to keep the interface snappy and smooth...

Quote Originally Posted by heywire View Post
    Does anyone know if maybe they've raised the clock speed of the CPU? I thought I remembered reading that the iPhone is actually underclocked be default... I guess it's possible that they've raised the CPU clock speed to compensate for some of the additional workload to keep the interface snappy and smooth...
    I like that thought. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, I have noticed the heat here with mine too. Also the Battery seems to be going WAY faster ...even with 3g turned off, still love it.

ALSO...... either there is a glitch with the display being accurate when on 3G or Edge ... I swear it's faster on edge then my 1st gen iPhone, or maybe att has bumped up the edge network in my area.
    Last edited by intangbl; 2008-07-13 at 07:54 PM.

My phone hasn't been getting at all, but backing up has been taking 5-10 minutes which is ridiculous to me.. lol.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent J. View Post
    My phone hasn't been getting at all, but backing up has been taking 5-10 minutes which is ridiculous to me.. lol.
    Yes I have noticed that iTunes back-up taking longer too. Not as long as you though. I guess Apple will begin to get feedback and fix 7.7 issues. And give us 7.8 soon.
    If you find my Postings useful or interesting. Press the .... Thanks Button.

I agree with everyone here... more heat, slower back-up, and battery life may be shorter just because I'm playing on it more... 1st gen here also.

i dont know what is it but mine is hot also inside the pocket.

iPhone? More like MyPhone oldskoolkid13's Avatar
    Thanks

mine g=has also been getting very hot, my battery has been draining faster, and for some ridiculus reason, my back up takes 30 min!!!! and it backs up every time i plug it in.... i hope an itunes or iphone f/w update will fix these problems soon...

If I helped you at all please hit the thanks button 4 me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iGotTheRiteTemp's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure about the heat issue, but the backup is slower now because it backs up all your appstore application settings, saves (for games), and possibly even the application itself.

Quote Originally Posted by iGotTheRiteTemp View Post
    I'm not sure about the heat issue, but the backup is slower now because it backs up all your appstore application settings, saves (for games), and possibly even the application itself.
    well you dont have the heat issue because uGotTheRiteTemp

lol.

</spam>
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I too have noticed it getting quite warm, especially while playing games like Aurora Feint. battery life seems a lot less too, but as someone else said that may just be because I'm playing with it more. I think there's something running in the background even when it's off, because I was sitting here working for a while and picked it up to see a 10% battery warning while I'm sure it was not that low before.
    Phil Nolan
    Modeler / Animator
    High 5 Productions

iPhone? More like MyPhone whateverman24791's Avatar
    Thanks

mine (1.1.3 OTB) seems to get quite hot on the top-back with maybe 5-8 mins of hard usage. also, the backups ARE longer and mine seems to take a lot more time to load when turned off: on 1.1.3 it loaded but then you had to wait for the signal to reach and for the bars to go up, ATT logo and Edge logo to appear but in 2.0: it seems that this happens all while at the silver apple loading logo

but the battery i have again (1.1.3 OTB) seems to be the same
    Last edited by whateverman24791; 2008-07-14 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (2008-07-31)

Are those of you who are draining your battery more rapidly now accounting for the fact that you're likely using the phone more right now because of all the new toys at your disposal? I used to charge mine every other day, but no I charge it nightly. At first I was worried that the 3g's battery sucked, but them I remember that I've been browsing the app store, playing with new apps, and browsing the web more than ever now.

wrong forum... this has nothing to do with the app store.

mine isn't any warmer. yeah, it gets warm when i'm playing monkey ball or something, but that's expected. syncing does taking decades longer though... and so does restarting my iphone at times.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Wrong forum, moved to General Chat...