Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: So is it worth it?

Default So is it worth it?
    I know its still early but was wondering what you guys with the new 3g phones think? Was it worth it? You think 2.0 is any better? Is signal strenth any better? From what i gathered from the posts here it doesnt look hopefull lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

No not at this time.

I left my 1.1.4 JB iPhone and upgraded my 1.1.4 iPod Touch.

It sync's slower, battery life is worse, it does not perform as well as it did before the upgrade.

I will wait before upgrading my phone for 2.0 to be JB and Apple updates the upgrade.

Thanks

I just got the white one yesterday, and the GPS feature is really a nice feature. And the 3G is noticeably faster. I cant comment on the battery life as i haven't used it extensively yet. I have .mac (mobileme) and so now i push my calendar from my computer to the iphone. I noticed though that my signal in my house is just 1 bar (3 with the old iphone). But as soon as i make or receive a call, it jumps back to 3 or 4. Could the transmitter/receiver be power regulated to save battery?

Right now IMO it is deff. not worth it. There are numerous things that need to be addressed before the 3G is worth the hassle.
    1. no more car adapter charging.
    2. apple thought we might like a yellow screen? wtf kthxbye
    3. very slow transition between apps like TEXT, the memory hungry app that demands full cpu power
    4. batterylife is a joke, i do a full recharge twice a day.
    5. after a clean restore, i am missing a full gig of memory

im sure theres more reasons

jeb

Thanks

maybe, it seems most of the stuff can be solved by software updates.

wow thanks guys for the heads up. Sorry to see some of you having problems. I have had my first gen phone for a few months and was hoping the 2.0 would help me out on the signal strength but i guess not. In my house i actually swap sims to a cheap free phone which gets 3 bars to iphones none! I am seriously thinking of hitting craigslist and trading it for a windows mobile phone. since my simple dash got twice the use of my iphone cause i had a signal. Not to mention mms. Just curios do mac's come with decent software like email apps that work the first time out or is this par for mac?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I don't think so
    I compared my 1st generation with the iphone 3g side by side at my local att store and was disappointed with the iphone 3g. My 1st gen iphone is from February 08, btw. The speaker on mine was louder than on the 3g. Both with the same volume settings (max) and ring tones selected and also on the ipod part (I played the same song on both). Sure the internet is faster, but where I live there is no 3g service. When I cut 3g off and loaded up the same page, both using edge, mine was faster than the 3g. GPS is negligible for me, but I will note that my iphone located me about 1.5 minutes faster than the 3g. The 3g was more accurate, but way too slow. Since I get the rest with iphone 2.0, I'll be sticking with my 1sst gen iphone. I might have a different opinion is 3g was an option in my area, but, like a lot of other people I'm sure, it is not available here. As far as general reception goes, it was the same on both phones.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a bigger difference between the two models.