Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is it that would constitute a new Bootloader?

Default What is it that would constitute a new Bootloader?
    Is there anyone here knowledgeable to break it down.

Its not software that prompts this is it?

Im just wondering what makes Apple Tech guys say, "Hmm, okay we need to update the bootloader."

i know it sounds like a dumb question but its making my brain itchy.

thanks

Security for one.

Not letting 3rd party apps that could cause harm to normal operation of device ( aka bricking)

Limiting the availability of applications/features so they can release software in future for a fee

Reality...improving there operation in a phone market as iPhone lacks alot of normal cell phone functions and needs to be updated/improved alot.

Quote Originally Posted by straightryder View Post
    Is there anyone here knowledgeable to break it down.

Its not software that prompts this is it?

Im just wondering what makes Apple Tech guys say, "Hmm, okay we need to update the bootloader."

i know it sounds like a dumb question but its making my brain itchy.

thanks
    Yes, i'm curious about this as well. It seems everyone is expecting a new boot loader with the 1.1.3 firmware, but from what i understand, noone has cracked the current bootloader. Is it possible that apple doesn't release a new bootloader cause they don't need to? What would stop them from just leaving the bootloader as is given noone seems to be able to crack it w/o apple releasing a new one. Maybe i don't understand what is gong on, but that's why i'm also curious about this....