Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: email crash on 2.0

Default email crash on 2.0
    hey, just updated to 2.0 firmware on 1gen iphone. everything works pretty good and i like all the new features but for some reason when i try to open the email program it starts to open then crashes back to the main screen. like i said everything else works just fine, so i have no idea what the problem is. i did notice it wouldnt let me delete my email account from the mail options menu. any ideas/suggestions plz leave them here! thanks in advance.

Same problem here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

After you upgrade to 2.0 you must set the phone up as NEW, not from back-up. RESTORE to 2.0 and set up as NEW then sync your contacts back on your phone.

thanks for the reply. will i lose anything off the phone (ie. texts, notes, dl'd apps, etc)? how do i sync my contacts w/out restoring from a backup?

whoaaa what about pics? i have a ton of pics taken by my phone.

yeah, that too! although i just went into my computer and pulled pics off of there and then can resync them later...i just noticed in itunes 7.7 u can back up ur apps and contacts to the computer so u should be able to sync them back up after the restore.

this can't be the propper way to do it. this must be an issue for peeps that jail broke their phone haa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

When you jailbreak a phone.. upgrade.. and restore from back-up it corrupts files and causes apps to crash. Just the way it is guys. You will lose your pics on your camera roll and saved texts, but you can sync back your numbers and any pics on the computer afterwards.

nah u wont loose ur pics just open files when u plug ur iphone up. i just learned that after the post before my last.

it wont be on ur camera roll but at least u have them on ur pc.

you can also use Phoneview to transfer Contacts, Pictures, Notes, SMS and Call Log to your comp before you restore and set up as new then sync it back to your phone..

im on a mac.. not sure if they have a windows version of Phoneview

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhuevos For This Useful Post:

fonz06 (2008-07-13)

this happened to me too. I'm on a windows PC, and I have an unlocked t-mobile and jailbroken phone. Should I Restor 2.0 using the same custom ipsw file I used to get it here? will I still be unlocked?

to save your Text (SMS) SSH and grab the sms backup then after restore put it back?
    That should work no..... as for pictures oh well that's the only way.

Lightbulb Solved!!!
    Hey guys, I was having the same problem: Upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.0 and MobileMail just crashed. Couldn't change or delete the email account that I setup back in 1.1.4. That got me thinking that the problem was probably related to file/folder permissions and IT IS! There is no need to set the phone up as NEW if you plan on jailbreaking 2.0. I did an UPGRADE to 2.0 (jailbroken) which is nice because it brings over all your old settings, text messages, pictures, etc - AND I got MobileMail working too! Here's how I fixed the email issue, step by step:

1) Jailbreak your iPhone with version 2.0 (1.2.0). There are plenty of guides for that so I'm not going to repeat them here. Make sure your jailbreak gives you "Cydia".
    2) Install a Terminal app or OpenSSH - any method that lets you get to the command prompt on the iPhone.
    3) Open up the Terminal app or use SSH to connect to your iPhone from a computer (sorry, no directions here). I used the MobileTerminal app.
    4) Become root if you aren't already. If you are using OpenSSH, you are probably the root user already. If you used a Terminal, you are probably user "mobile". To see who you are, type "whoami". If you are "mobile", execute the "su" command and enter the password "alpine".
    5) Finally... run the following command (as root): "chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Mail". This is case-sensitive so make sure you get it right. This command will change the ownership of the Mail folder (and contents) to the "mobile" user.

Code:
    su
    chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Mail
    Note: enter "alpine" as the password when prompted by the "su" command.

For me, that did it! Mail works fine! Just FYI, the permissions on my Mail folder (/var/mobile/Library/Mail) are drwxr-xr-x (755). If you still have problems after following this procedure, you might need to set the permissions on the Mail folder (and contents) as well with this command:
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 /var/mobile/Library/Mail
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrfusi0n For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (2008-08-10), chamcent (2008-08-05), cl 8525 (2008-08-10), dtmars (2008-08-11), feerlessleadr (2008-08-24), journeys (2008-10-08)

Great fix! I had just upgraded to 2.0 a couple of days ago, but while playing with all the new options, adding new apps, i had not checked my email since upgrade. When i did try, my email would open up, say downloading msgs, beep and vibrate with the new mail, but would never display the new mail and would immediately shut off. I just tried the, "chown -R.." command and it worked immediately.

Thanks mrfusi0n!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fonz06 View Post
    whoaaa what about pics? i have a ton of pics taken by my phone.
    Download them into iphoto or whatever you use.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

download bossprefs and use it to fix user permissions and voilà. Worked for me

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpo For This Useful Post:

dtm1877 (2008-08-09)

boss pref worked for me too. I had to reboot the phone for the mail to show up properly.

Same here bosspref !!!

download the BossPrefs application (available via Cydia) it has an option to “Fix User Dir Permissions” (accessed via the “More” button). immediate fix! Thank you Big Boss!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfusi0n View Post
    Hey guys, I was having the same problem: Upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.0 and MobileMail just crashed. Couldn't change or delete the email account that I setup back in 1.1.4. That got me thinking that the problem was probably related to file/folder permissions and IT IS! There is no need to set the phone up as NEW if you plan on jailbreaking 2.0. I did an UPGRADE to 2.0 (jailbroken) which is nice because it brings over all your old settings, text messages, pictures, etc - AND I got MobileMail working too! Here's how I fixed the email issue, step by step:

1) Jailbreak your iPhone with version 2.0 (1.2.0). There are plenty of guides for that so I'm not going to repeat them here. Make sure your jailbreak gives you "Cydia".
    2) Install a Terminal app or OpenSSH - any method that lets you get to the command prompt on the iPhone.
    3) Open up the Terminal app or use SSH to connect to your iPhone from a computer (sorry, no directions here). I used the MobileTerminal app.
    4) Become root if you aren't already. If you are using OpenSSH, you are probably the root user already. If you used a Terminal, you are probably user "mobile". To see who you are, type "whoami". If you are "mobile", execute the "su" command and enter the password "alpine".
    5) Finally... run the following command (as root): "chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Mail". This is case-sensitive so make sure you get it right. This command will change the ownership of the Mail folder (and contents) to the "mobile" user.

Code:
    su
    chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile/Library/Mail
    Note: enter "alpine" as the password when prompted by the "su" command.

For me, that did it! Mail works fine! Just FYI, the permissions on my Mail folder (/var/mobile/Library/Mail) are drwxr-xr-x (755). If you still have problems after following this procedure, you might need to set the permissions on the Mail folder (and contents) as well with this command:
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 /var/mobile/Library/Mail
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
    OMG, thanks so much. I was searching google for the answer, and it occurred to me these forums were a better place to look. Worked like a charm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast