I bricked my iPhone the other day and had to do a forced recovery in iTunes. I lost most of my photos in the process, so I've been looking for a way to get some of them back.

After lots of searching, I found a little blurb somewhere saying that you can run the following command from your iPhone (using MobileTerminal) to create a low-level disk image and send it over SSH to a Unix/Linux PC.
Code:
[email protected]> dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh [email protected] 'dd of=iphone-dump.img'
I'm not very familiar with Unix/Linux, so I'm not really sure how this should behave after it has been executed. I'm trying to find out if running this command will copy the disk image file to my Linux box "on the fly", or if it will wait and copy the file after the whole thing has finished processing.

I started it a little while ago, let it run for a few minutes, then checked my Ubuntu system to see if the file was visible -- I couldn't find it. So, I stopped it from running on my iPhone (using ctrl+c). The iPhone said that xxx bytes had been transferred, but I still could not find the file anywhere on my Ubuntu machine! Does it not show up until the process completes?

I can ping my iPhone from Ubuntu and vice versa, so I know they're talking. Also, I thought it was strange that the iPhone never asked me for a password to my Ubuntu machine when I executed the command above. Should it have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!