Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G iPhone Launch Discussion

Thanks

Default 3G iPhone Launch Discussion
    ok, i got to my local store at 6:30 am for a 8:02 am opening time.

i was the 12th man when i arrived, and shortly after i arrived the queue was at least 30 deep.

the guy at the front, was american. he got there at 5 am and boy did he let everyone know.

the reps come out, say we are good for the 16gig as they have enough stock for first 15.

store opens at 8:02, all go in and queue, with the total queue very long now.

the american guy goes through the processes as normal, but as a form of payment he has an american debit card. how are you supposed to buy a contract in the uk on an american debit card??? lol

he gets turned away, 3 and a half hours after starting to queue, with nothing.

couldnt help but smile as he walked out, and cant help but laugh now!

anyone else have any funny stories?

also, the queue was dreadful. i think im a geek now, looking at the people around me
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone beachboarder41's Avatar
    Thanks

lmao! lifes a b****. im heading out now, at 5:00 a.m. with about an hour of sleep behind me. good luck everyone!
    Viva la iPhone - GET DOMINATED

Thanks

one bit of advice for anyone reading this, set the new iPhone up as a new phone when asked by itunes, dont back it up from your last sync with your old one.

my mail app crashed continuously and apps wouldnt download from appstore and when apps synced from mac they wouldnt work.

i cant get gps to work either, get a constant "Driving directions could not be found because your current location could not be determined."
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-07-11 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone lostwhiteboyy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm the 9 in line and I just got here! I'm in Pitt,pa

Thanks

Im at home in a nice cozy bed half asleep.
    Be jealous.

iPhone? More like MyPhone lostwhiteboyy's Avatar
    Thanks

haha man that's not nice!

Thanks

if anyone can get the gps working or explain why mine isnt working??

Suck it up, Sucker

Default iPhone launch is a disaster
    Apparently I heard the o2 system had technical problems resulting in delays. Customers started getting served around 9am and some at 10am

I went to the launch today and it took ages to buy the iphone. There were over 20 customers waiting in the queue and each was being served at 20mins. Not really good to be honest. Dissapointed really. I had to cancel work whilst waiting in the queue just to get an iphone. A few people below had that same problem in Dunstable, UK

iPhone World

The good thing is I got my iphone3g , just got back now.

EDIT: Official iphone firmware 2.0 has been released just now lol

cause you bought a legal one!!!

jks,

im at work, falling asleeep! - that's close enough

WoW + iPhone = Powned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -_-Sam-_- View Post
    Apparently I heard the o2 system had technical problems resulting in delays. Customers started getting served around 9am and some at 10am

I went to the launch today and it took ages to buy the iphone. There were over 20 customers waiting in the queue and each was being served at 20mins. Not really good to be honest. Dissapointed really. I had to cancel work whilst waiting in the queue just to get an iphone. A few people below had that same problem in Dunstable, UK

iPhone World

The good thing is I got my iphone3g , just got back now.

EDIT: Official iphone firmware 2.0 has been released just now lol
    was expecting allot more problems than i got. as soon as the store opened this morning, everything went without a hitch.

just thought i'd say my phone was not opened or handled in the store at all.

gps is annoying me though, it wont target me at all. wtf is this about?

EDIT:

makes loads of sense.

general>location services

had to turn it off, then go to google maps and then click ok when prompted. now it works. it was switched on as default, by not working.
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-07-11 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

too bad I got mine activated in store while everyone else had to go home and do theirs

Thanks

I shot someone for mine then stole it.

Actually i was sleeping in bed and boy do i love my 1.1.4 First Gen real iPhone

[email protected]
    EDM

Well, after picking up my work for the next week at 10am I thought I'd stop in to the nearest Rogers (Ottawa Canada) and see how bad the lines were. To my suprise I was the 3rd guy in line. It sounds good but they could only handle two people at a time and in front of me was a kid who took an hour to decide which voice plan he wanted. I finally get to the counter, we do the paperwork and then the clerk says, 'oh you already have a phone with Rogers? Sorry but we're only doing new activations. If you want to I can set this up as an extra line and you can have a second three year contract...'. To be clear I said, ' so be cause I'm already a customer, you won't upgrade/sell me an iPhone?' - he confirmed. I left taking note of the huge stack of phones they had and satisfied that I had solved the mystery of why there was no line up.

I try a second location - no line up whatsoever. Sold out of course

I try a third location and there is a line up. We do the paperwork but the systems are down. The people in front of me have been waiting for 2 hours and I'm there another hour and share my story about the previous locations and they explain that the tool or site they use to activate has been going up and down all day. At this point all the phones are spoken for and the clerks are evenly deviding their time between turning people away and listening to seniors tell them how crazy we are.

Cut to a woman in a business suit taking notes on her blackberry while talking to an idle clerk. I gather that she's trying to explain to her boss why he won't be getting one. Then she approaches us in line and asks us how long we've been waiting, have we had a chance to get drinks, food etc and generally co-miserating. So I tell her my tale and to my surprise she says she'll take care of it. I ask her if she works for Rogers and she tells us that yes, she's one of the VPs and has been visiting all of their locations in town - later we see her on a newscast about the iphone release while still waiting (4 hours total). She also took food and drink orders from those interested, which was nice.

In the end, they never did the get the system back up but offered to process the purchase for us without releasing the phones (it goes directly to our bill so we aren't billed for a while - in my case a 26 days). That reserves the phones and they called in a few hours when the system was back up.

So yea - that was my adventure. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks

See AT&T would NEVER do somewthing nice like that.

Canada Ftw
    EDM

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    See AT&T would NEVER do somewthing nice like that.

Canada Ftw
    The VP was nice and I'd like to say that she saved them from losing my business but lets face it - they are the only game in town and I was already addicted to the previous-gen iPhone I purchased south of the border. The chance of me switching to a competitor on a cdma network was pretty close to zero. It picked my day up quite a bit though.

As for AT&T, we had one guy in our line who told everyone several times that if this were AT&T we'd only need to be here about 3 minutes each - boom boom boom - keep them coming. I found that a bit of a stretch, but I'd have to hope it was better than four hours, or worse yet, being turned away for a BS reason.

Thanks

my story is crazy

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    ok, i got to my local store at 6:30 am for a 8:02 am opening time.

i was the 12th man when i arrived, and shortly after i arrived the queue was at least 30 deep.

the guy at the front, was american. he got there at 5 am and boy did he let everyone know.

the reps come out, say we are good for the 16gig as they have enough stock for first 15.

store opens at 8:02, all go in and queue, with the total queue very long now.

the american guy goes through the processes as normal, but as a form of payment he has an american debit card. how are you supposed to buy a contract in the uk on an american debit card??? lol

he gets turned away, 3 and a half hours after starting to queue, with nothing.

couldnt help but smile as he walked out, and cant help but laugh now!

anyone else have any funny stories?

also, the queue was dreadful. i think im a geek now, looking at the people around me
    I bought a phone in Trinidad with an American debit card...The guy must have exceed hit limit because the card is as good as any other card as long as you have the available balance. He should have arranged with his bank before going in...

went to att sold out , went to apple waited 4.5 hrs and walked out at 5pm with 2 new 3g iphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
    Well, after picking up my work for the next week at 10am I thought I'd stop in to the nearest Rogers (Ottawa Canada) and see how bad the lines were....
    Rogers f.....g sucks! Everyone knows that. I didn't even try to go to the store and get the phone. Freaking idiots introduced it in just few biggest stores in downtown Toronto. Smaller stores will get phones in week or more!
    Second thing is that they are not selling to existing customers, WTF! So my money is not good enough to get a phone. I am paying for years about 300-400 a month for 4 Rogers cell phones and now I am not good enough to buy new phone?!
    Third thing is that that slavery of 3 year contract. It's freaking phone, not mortgage people. Why not sign out left kidney?

I am so mad and thinking about switching to Bell and taking their LG or whatever it is iPhone clone...
    Zack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast