Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Wireless Router? Have a laptop and want WiFi for you phone?

Default No Wireless Router? Have a laptop and want WiFi for you phone?
    This my be basic general knowledge but is only something I have discovered last night!

I do not have a wireless router but have a laptop with a wireless data card so I can be portable and surf (this technique is also possible if you have cable internet)

Obviously there are certain apps/functions etc that are only used through WiFi on your phone and you do not want to stretch out on buying a wireless router.

You can use your laptop connection to share your network with your iphone and connect wirelessly to your own connection.

Visit here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Make_your_la...0.html?tag=vid

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dane.pablecheque For This Useful Post:

am776 (2007-12-29), amanpusaf (2007-12-21), BarcaMagic (2008-04-25), Cam23 (2009-02-08), marirose3657 (2008-07-13), myboot (2007-12-21), oSutrooper (2007-12-24), rinaprasant (2009-02-08), soulthoughts (2007-12-21), tattoojack (2008-07-13)

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks
    i really want this

Not a problem.

I am on Vista and am absolutely loving the fact I can use wireless on my phone around home (or anywhere)!

Do not be shy to click "thanks" as well as typing it =P

Enjoy your new wireless!!

Quote Originally Posted by dane.pablecheque View Post

You can use your laptop connection to share your network with your iphone and connect wirelessly to your own connection.

Visit here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Make_your_la...0.html?tag=vid
    I gave you a thanks I have a PCMCIA Sprint EvDO wireless Internet card and I had always been told that it wasn't possible to share it as a Wifi hotspot without some sort of hardware solution (for example, Linksys has a wireless router that you can slot one of these Sprint Cards into.)

Following the video, I swapped out the last step of configuring my wired Local Area Connection with that of the Dialup connection for Sprint Mobile Broadband, told it not to automatically dial (since Sprint has their own dialer that authenticates you.) And viola! It works.

This will be most excellent over the holidays when I wont necessarily have access to a real wifi hotspot so I can check up on what's new on Installer.app and surf the web from bed in the morning. (Not to mention how useful it will be at work where we use WPA Enterprise WIFI which the Iphone/Touch doesn't support yet.)

THANKS THANKS THANKS!

Thanks

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try it over the holidays. You've been thanked.

is this possible with a desktop? if you have a wireless card?

Can anyone help? I'm using XP with a cingular (AT&T) air card, but can't seem to get this working.

I followed the video replacing all the points with what I could find on the 3g card I have.

Quote Originally Posted by myboot View Post
    And viola! It works.

This will be most excellent over the holidays when I wont necessarily have access to a real wifi hotspot so I can check up on what's new on Installer.app and surf the web from bed in the morning.
    Great! Glad it works for you - it truly is fantastic not needing to purchase any hardware to solve the problem..

Quote Originally Posted by cursive08 View Post
    is this possible with a desktop? if you have a wireless card?
    Hhhhm not sure. Any computer that is WiFi enabled should be able to produce the same results. Obviously your desktop will not make you as portable as you would like, but it may be possible.

If your computer has the ability to connect to a wifi network (not your own router wifi etc) then it should be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cruggiero View Post
    Can anyone help? I'm using XP with a cingular (AT&T) air card, but can't seem to get this working.

I followed the video replacing all the points with what I could find on the 3g card I have.
    I am in New Zealand and by the sounds of things our wireless data cards are not as complicated as elsewhere in the world with multiple providers/networks etc. I was able to follow the steps exactly and get mine to work - be sure to have your wifi activated on your laptop haha! I forgot to have the switch on the first time. Where do you get to? Do you get an error or what?

Thanks alot for your help

Default Works for dial-up to!
    This works the same to share a dial-up connection. Works great if your like me and live in the boonies and only have dial up connections and no cell reception at your house!

Works on Dial-Up also??

Wow thats a nice touch! I am still amazed with the ability to share my connection, so enjoy all.

i have successfully set up the adhoc connection when i use other mobile phones or pda it connects without any problem...

but when i try on iphone it says "unable to join network" but when i click join the second time it will accept the wifi connection, i can use safari to browse smoothly...

but i can never finished installing appsnapp at http://jailbreakme.com whenever i choose install appsnapp it returns quickly to activation screen and downloading process to install appsnapp never happen, i try as many as 20 times still fail, but when i use wifi connection that generated by a wifi router, the appsnapp would installed smoothly....

did i have to set the ip address and dns on my laptop? or also on my iphone?

anyone ever succeed in jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com using adhoc wifi connection?

thanks .....

Yup, I have succeeded.

Same thing, first time is a no - then it reconnects fine the second time.

Its the only connection I have ever used for jailbreakme.com and works fine!

iPhone 8gb
    1.0.2 OTB> 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.1.3
    Unlocked with Ziphone 2.3
    Operating in New Zealand

hi... i tried but didn't work for my iphone...

Anyone got it to with with Windows Vista Home BASIC? Coz I dun see/have the "Internet connection sharing" button at the end of the ad hoc setup process... any idea y?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

good find! makin this phone that much more awesomer everday!

lol awesomer

where to find video in attech link plesae hepl me