Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Got ripped off...Whats wrong with this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone dykzebr's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Got ripped off...Whats wrong with this?
    I just bought a 8gb Iphone from someone on a forum, and it had no charger, I got it to come on, when I plugged my ipod usb into it, and it shows a clear battery with a thin red line, then about 2 mins later, it shows an apple, and I got it to come on and say "Phone Needs Repair cannot make or recieve calls, contact apple support" Look to see the imei it shows unknown, does anyone know what to do, can I like erase the whole phone and start over fresh or is the phone shot? If someone is willing to help me get it fixed, and walk with me through it on AIM, Yahoo, I will pay you 50.00 via paypal, I am needing this thing to work. I appreciate your help!

-Brett

I also noticed, it isnt wanting to charge, and it only boots when I use the wall plug not a usb via computer..

I also noticed, it isnt wanting to charge, and it only boots when I use the wall plug not a usb via computer.. Took it apart and all the sensors are red...
    Last edited by dykzebr; 2008-07-05 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

hey dykzebr,

Look in the headphone jack with a flashlight. Do you see pink at all in there? If so the phone has water damage and that could be the cause of most of the issues. Lets start there!

catriple

Thanks

The indicators are red. What generally needs to be replaced once it has gotten wet, the screen and everything works fine! and I do have a year warrenty, however I bought it used, and it got wet, I bet apple wants an easy 200 to fix it..

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dykzebr View Post
    I got it to come on, when I plugged my ipod usb into it, and it shows a clear battery with a thin red line, then about 2 mins later, it shows an apple, and I got it to come on and say "Phone Needs Repair cannot make or recieve calls, contact apple support" Look to see the imei it shows unknown, does anyone know what to do, can I like erase the whole phone and start over fresh or is the phone shot?

I also noticed, it isnt wanting to charge, and it only boots when I use the wall plug not a usb via computer..

Took it apart and all the sensors are red...
    The battery shorted and drained out. Problem with the iPhone is that it is a sealed unit and is nearly impossible to dry out unless it is completely apart. It causes the boards to corrode accelerating the damage. The "phone needs repair" message along with the blank imei indicates a corrupt / damaged software. Sounds like a double whammy but hopefully, fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by dykzebr View Post
    The indicators are red. What generally needs to be replaced once it has gotten wet, the screen and everything works fine! and I do have a year warrenty, however I bought it used, and it got wet, I bet apple wants an easy 200 to fix it..
    While it is apart, start with the battery. Take the phone completely apart and start cleaning electronic parts with rubbing alcohol and a soft bristle toothbrush. Dry it out completely using a hair dryer. Take special care with the LCD / Digitizer, hair dryers can get real hot. Then install the new battery. Once that is fixed, you can tackle the "phone needs repair" part. Good Luck to ya...
    Last edited by rvlyssup; 2008-07-06 at 04:01 AM.
    My Week 51 8Gig is "retired", currently using i580 on Boost Mobile. Yeah, I miss my i...
    Wifey's - 8GB 3G unlocked & jailbroken using blacksn0w, GO GEO!
    Also retired Week 29 4 GiG on 3.1 custom firmware & originally Unlocked & JB via WinPwn.
    Unbranded & Unlocked Custom WM6 Cingy 8125, R.I.P Cingy 8525 (WSOD)
    BB Bold, Miami Ink v3, v235, & an mpx220, all unlocked!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rvlyssup For This Useful Post:

DoerrFan (2008-07-06)

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok,

so now you probably have the phone apart. There are two ways to deal with this: the apple way and the long way. rvlyssup had given some great information and is correct in saying that you need to clean that phone up with rubbing alcohol. You can do what he describes (as a start) for the long way

or

once you have the back cover off, scrape off the 6 stage water sensor (the small piece of now red/pink tape) on the bottom of the headphone jack. Put it back together (assuming you didnt jack up the case in prying it off) and take it back to apple. This way the water damage indicator is read as "white" not "pink" and youre still covered by warranty. Assuming you have an AT&T Sim card (prepaid is fine, but know your phone #) Apple wont even question it and give you a brand new phone. It has worked for me several times . You can aim me if you want and im happy to tell you what I know.

Thanks

I ruined the backplate does anyone know where to get a new one with my original serial

Thanks

find the return address of the guy who mailed it to you and jam the phone down his throat and take your money back

Thanks

It's on eBay as not working as is

send it back to the guy and demand a refund.
    Latest Sig

After reading all this, you need to send this P.O.S. back ASAP. You got completely ripped off...

How did you pay for the item?
    Last edited by SeedlessOne; 2008-07-07 at 05:27 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

It sucks to be taken, hope you do something about it...
    Last edited by rvlyssup; 2008-07-07 at 07:07 AM.
    My Week 51 8Gig is "retired", currently using i580 on Boost Mobile. Yeah, I miss my i...
    Wifey's - 8GB 3G unlocked & jailbroken using blacksn0w, GO GEO!
    Also retired Week 29 4 GiG on 3.1 custom firmware & originally Unlocked & JB via WinPwn.
    Unbranded & Unlocked Custom WM6 Cingy 8125, R.I.P Cingy 8525 (WSOD)
    BB Bold, Miami Ink v3, v235, & an mpx220, all unlocked!

Yo brodda sucks for you that you got jobbed man. What you needs to do is go after the modda that stuck it to you. Hes out spending yo hard earned cash man. Don't throw mores money at that phone your fixes might not even work brodda!
    Last edited by thxkbye; 2008-07-08 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks

It's cool, kinda one of those, w/e things.like I said, re-selling it on eBay here shortly for a parts phone.. oh well..
    Extremly Happy Verizon iPhone User...

iPhone 4 32gb CDMA JailBROKE!