Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: anyone out there using an iphone with SPRINT?

Default anyone out there using an iphone with SPRINT?
    My buddy is currently with sprint, and he's thinking about getting himself an iphone for christmas. There's a $200 early termination fee for sprint, but he didn't know about unlocking phones. I know it's possible.... but is there anyone out there using an iphone with sprint?? what kind of data plans are there for sprint that would work with the iphone? Of you who are using sprint, have you had any problems/issues in getting visual voicemail/youtube/mail/etc to work?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks

Your wrong. It is NOT possible to get the iPhone to work on Sprint, even if it is unlocked. It needs to run on the GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 network. Spring is not even close on the CDMA PCS 1900 band.

Banned
    Thanks

yeah...sprint is not GSM...it will NOT work

Quote Originally Posted by Picartman View Post
    Would Nextel work?
    Man..... no offense but some of you need to understand how these cell companies operate. Nextel does not operate on the GSM network either.

GSM is basically what most of the world's countries uses, many identify this easily by the fact that most use these SIM card based cards in your phone, that is what identify's your subscription on the network.

The other companies that operate on TDMA, CDMA, etc, dont use SIM Cards at all, they actually program the phone itself to be subscribed on the phone, thats why when you change phone on those networks you must call the cell provider up to get it actived.

On a GSM based network all you need to do is switch the SIM card, never need to call the cell provider except during the initial activation of the SIM card.

Dixit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogjonx For This Useful Post:

Picartman (2007-12-14)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogjonx View Post
    snip

Oh I just thought that GSM companies were companies that use that little SIM card in general that goes in the back of the phone, my Dad has a Nextel and it uses a Sim card so I was just speculating...oh well.

Uh, you are aware that Sprint = Nextel, right?