Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is restore my only option?

Default Is restore my only option?
    Where do I start? I decided (cause Im just smart that way & everything seems like a good idea at the time & of course u can believe everything you find on the internet) to do some things (read: play with SSH when I have NO IDEA what I'm doing) in my iPhone. All of this to fix the timestamp issue. I figured how hard can it be to "SSH" into a phone & give it a couple of commands (insert loud buzzer sound here)? Especially when you have a great step-by-step guide that tells you to CHANGE PASSWD for security reasons... So guess what I did?!!? Once I realized I'm stuck in the endless "Edit Homescreen" loop (b/c I changed the password), I figured there must be a fix for this somewhere out there. Off I go onto another blog, which tells me how I have to change the password back to the original one in order to stop the infinity loop. At this point, I enlist the help of a friend who is well versed in Linux and who's been updated on everything I did. I follow part of the instructions to change the password back to "alpine" and then he tells me to stop "cause something isn't right with the 2nd part of the instructions" - something about giving all apps full access to my phone (?!?!). So I don't do the 2nd part, and lo and behold, I am STILL stuck in the loop but as a bonus I also cannot SSH into my phone b/c NONE of the passwords work (alpine, dottie, blank, the one I changed it to). I've been searching for a solution ever since and have come to the conclusion that I have to restore my phone & start all over again. I've been reading posts for the past 4 hours and am getting more & more confused. I do not want to screw this up 'cause I will litterally tear my hair out (and I love my hair) if I brick my phone. So here are my questions:
    1. What exactly is "restore"? What does it do?
    2. How EXACTLY do I do it? And I mean as step-by-step as possible, 'cause I'm starting to think I have comprehension problems. (like, does the SIM card have to be in the phone while I'm doing this?)
    3. What are the implications of doing a "restore" i.e I guess I'll lose all contacts/music/data in calendar?
    4. Are there any "long-term" effects - such as unable to upgrade to a higher firmware later on?
    A little more details about my phone: I have an 8G, 1.1.3 phone, unlocked in March '08 with zIphone 2.5 (I c now that apparently that's the devil incarnate). I'm with Rogers in Eastern Canada. I also have iTunes 7.6.2.
    One last question: although I SWEAR to never go into SSH again, will I be able to once the phone is restored?
    I am so thankful to anyone who can shed a light on this. I certainly hope that as the blundering idiot that I am I at least made you laugh.
    Oh, my friend had to leave - pretty much at the time when I realized I couldn't SSH into the phone.
    I'm sure I have other questions but I just cannot think at this time anymore.
    If curiosity killed the cat, then meow.
    Again, thanx in advance for any help/advice.
    Added: I'm on a Mac, OS X, 10.4.11 (if that helps at all)
    Last edited by Cheers; 2008-06-28 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Green Apple
    Thanks

WOW!!! You wrote a book! ahaha Now give me a few minutes to read everything through...and I'll get back to you.

I honestly think you should go ahead with a full stock restore. Hopefully you didn't jailbreak/unlock your phone with Ziphone. But with the issue you stated, I think you should have a resolution with a complete iTunes restore.

However, I am not 100% sure since you're scaring me a bit with everything you said...haha But I think maybe we should wait and see if someone else can confirm.
    Last edited by rvashi; 2008-06-28 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If someone helped you, hit their THANKS button.

Hum yeah well I kinda DID jailbreak/unlock with zIphone... I certainly hope that's not going to be an issue 'cause I feel a full panic attack coming on at this point if something else is wrong. I guess that's what I get for messin' around with stuff I know nothing about. In the meantime, would you be able to explain what restore is exactly?

I would install cydia, it's passwd command works!

you can also look into the damaged file
    /etc/passwd
    it should look like :
    Code:
    /etc/passwd
    #
    # 4.3BSD-compatable User Database
    #
    # Note that this file is not consulted for login.
    # It only exisits for compatability with 4.3BSD utilities.
    #
    # This file is automatically re-written by various system utilities.
    # Do not edit this file.  Changes will be lost.
    #
    nobody:*:-2:-2:Unprivileged User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    root:*:0:0:System Administrator:/var/root:/bin/sh
    mobile:*:501:501:Mobile User:/var/mobile:/bin/sh
    daemon:*:1:1:System Services:/var/root:/usr/bin/false
    unknown:*:99:99:Unknown User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    _securityd:*:64:64:securityd:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    but your root or mobile line does not look like this!
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Hmm but how can I install something when I can't get outta the what I affectionately call now the loop of doom?!?! I know my root or mobile line didn't look like that (in fact, even nobody looked different) but now I can't access anything b/c the SSH password is "invalid"

certainly not using SSH!

do you have AFP? or some other way to edit your iPhone files?

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Unfortunately, you kinda lost me there. I am a noob after all... I don't know what AFP is, so I don't think I have it. Again, I am way out of my depth here and am trying to backtrack as painlessly as possible into getting my phone to work again. Thanx for your patience!

you don't have another way in??

RESTORE!!!!!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Alrighty then, but that brings me to questions 1, 2, 3, and 4 from my original post. I know it sounds stupid to ask for a step-by-step guide but I am so PETRIFIED of screwing up my phone even more that I wanna make sure I get every little detail right!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvlyssup's Avatar
    Thanks

Put your phone in DFU mode: iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

or recovery mode: iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into Recovery Mode

iTunes will detect your phone is in recovery mode and prompt you to restore the firmware. Click restore and let it do its thing.

Then JB, activate, and unlock using any method you prefer. (except ZiPhone)

Hope you get her running and next time, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    My Week 51 8Gig is "retired", currently using i580 on Boost Mobile. Yeah, I miss my i...
    Wifey's - 8GB 3G unlocked & jailbroken using blacksn0w, GO GEO!
    Also retired Week 29 4 GiG on 3.1 custom firmware & originally Unlocked & JB via WinPwn.
    Unbranded & Unlocked Custom WM6 Cingy 8125, R.I.P Cingy 8525 (WSOD)
    BB Bold, Miami Ink v3, v235, & an mpx220, all unlocked!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rvlyssup For This Useful Post:

Cheers (2008-06-28)

I finally found enough info here & on other blogs to take the plunge into restore. I did exactly as instructed to put it into DFU mode, it's plugged in & iTunes is doing its thing I guess. I am quite literally shaking in my chair while waiting for some kind of result. I'll let you knowwhat's happening.

So I did restore, now I'm up & (sorta) running on 1.1.4. At 1st glance everything seems to function, except WiFi
    I'm gonna keep searching the forums but if any of you have any ideas, they'd be much appreciated. The actual problem isn't with WiFi not appearing, but rather with the fact that the "Join" button seems to be deactivated. I try to connect to my own WiFi account, enter the password but cannot join the network since the option is deactivated. Any ideas?
    A BIG THANX to all who helped (yes, I did hit the thanx button), and this is a lesson learned (the hard way).

Nevermind, all's well on the WiFi front as well. Must be all those fried braincells from stressing out too much. It's done, finished, over, never EVER touching that stuff again!
    Last edited by Cheers; 2008-06-28 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost