Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Remote Updates - Can Apple remote wipe you?

Default iPhone 3G Remote Updates - Can Apple remote wipe you?
    Recently, I heard that the new iPhone 3G will have a new feature that's hardware based, that will allow Apple to do remote updates to your 3G iPhone. Apple suggests that this will allow auto updates to Phones simply by being connected to AT&T's network via 3G or Wifi. Similar to Enterprise ability to do Remote Wipe.

Apple says, this will simply allow for remote updates to add new features without a major frmware release.

I believe its called "VOTA" I may be wrong with the name...Please correct me if you know. From what I understand, This will only work with the iPhone 3G. Current 2.5G or first generation iPhones will not be affected with this feature. It seems to be hardware based. Nor will the new firmware 2.0 affect first generation iPhones.

Why be concerned? Well it may be used to remote wipe Jailbroken iPhones and or Unlocked Carrier iPhones.

It may be a reason not to get the new iPhone 3G. I have not heard much about this in the Forums. If anyone knows more about this please reply.

Chris

Thanks

Jailbreaking and unlocking simply peeves Apple off and they cancel your warranty. Neither of these activities are illegal. If Apple attempted to remote wipe your iPhone, it is they who would be committing an illegal act.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Jailbreaking and unlocking simply peeves Apple off and they cancel your warranty. Neither of these activities are illegal. If Apple attempted to remote wipe your iPhone, it is they who would be committing an illegal act.
    I hear what your saying. Remember the iPhone hardware is owned by the buyer. The Software though is licensed to the user. Jailbreaking and unlocking voids the agreement and yes voids your warranty if found out. In violating your contract with Apple they may still have a right to end your service. Being a moderator you may have seen or read the small print. I like what your saying but knowing Apple this may be the STOP they need to end Jailbreaking and force compliance.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm sure that hackers will be able to find a way to stop this. And I don't see why they should wipe you, because the fact that you own the hardware but as the above poster said it;s licensed.

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
    I'm sure that hackers will be able to find a way to stop this. And I don't see why they should wipe you, because the fact that you own the hardware but as the above poster said it;s licensed.
    OK...you don't see why......Why? Because you are violating the License Agreement. Perhaps not WIPE but how about BRICK. I would guess the New iPhone 3G License Agreement will have a stipulation that says if you attempt to Jailbreak or unlock your iPhone 3G it may be Bricked. Remember this is not Software but a Hardware Feature that allows Apple to Remote Update. Some code sent to the phone will allow Apple to see its been Jailbroken or unlocked. Then send a command to Brick and force a Firmware Restore message.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Regardless, if Apple were to wipe a phone that was jailbroken or unlocked they would be in for a world of hurt from lawsuits that might potentially open up the doors to other problems with their business model.

Yes I do agree with you. It may piss people off and not buy other Apple Products. Apple of course were not concerned when they offered a Brick Message to a firmware update before. Remember, this does not affect the First Generation iPhone. All those who have JailBroken their Phones will be OK. Its the New iPhone 3G owners that will be affected.

This will be the way Apple will gain control and force compliance and make users use the App Store.

Let me make it clear. I am Jailbroken on the First Gen. I only want to bring discussion to this little talked about feature.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Chalk it up... rumor #23,474,928

If Apple did remote wipe any iPhone without a Legitimate Reason, it would be them who will go down. You could sue them for alot of money if they did that. Suppose there were some important company files on there.
    Anyway, I dont quite see Apple doing that sort of thing.

Well Poseidon 79. My rumor as you put is turning out to be true. Not only can Apple wipe you but can selectively wipe out and turn off Applications at will.... Including third party Non-Apple Apps.

See: iPhone can phone home and kill apps? - iPhone Atlas

Wow!
    If you find my Postings useful or interesting. Press the .... Thanks Button.